This epsiode is about polyglottery and was partly recorded at the 2018 Polyglot Conference in Ljubljana in Slovenia.
I talk about what is a polyglot, how many languages you have to speak to call yourself a polyglot, and discuss what polyglots get up to, including the Polyglot Conference and other polyglot events, such as the Polyglot Gathering and LangFest. There are also some sound bites from participants in the conference in a variety of languages.
Definitions of polyglot:
- “A polyglot is a person who speaks or understands many languages; a person with a command of many languages” [Collins English Dictionary].
- “person who knows and is able to use several languages” [English Oxford Living Dictionaries].
Definitions of polyglottery:
- “The knowledge or use of several languages, polyglot character” [English Oxford Living Dictionaries].
Other takes on polyglottery
Websites of some of the people who took part in the episode
- Foreign Language Expertise with Alexander Arguelles
- How to get fluent, with Dr Popkins
- Lindsay Does Languages. Lindsay is also co-host of the Fluent Show podcast
- The Intrepid Guide – Language Guides & Travel Tips from Around the World
- LinguaMaterna – Learn a New Language Without The complications
- Wouter Corduwener’s YouTube channel
If you took part in this podcast and have a website, blog, YouTube channel, etc that you’d like to see included here, let me know in the comments.
Videos from Polylgot events
My photos and videos from polyglot events