Details of most of the world's alphabets, syllabic scripts, and other writing systems.
- What is writing?
- Differences between writing and speech
- Types of writing system
- A-Z index
- Direction index
Scripts constructed by visitors to Omniglot, and scripts invented for books, films, etc.
- Constructed scripts for natural and constructed languages
- Fictional scripts
- Phonetic scripts
- Adapted scripts
- A-Z index
- How to submit a con-script
Learn the basics of over 200 languages.
- Useful phrases and other phrases
- Numbers, colours and time expressions, kinship terms
- Idioms, proverbs and tongue twisters
- Country and language names
- Songs and the Tower of Babel
- Chinese and Celtic languages
- Find language tutors in the USA or UK
Details of languages, how to learn languages, and language-related articles and videos.
- Language profiles
- Language families
- How to learn languages
- Language-related articles
- Language learning videos
New and improved pages on Omniglot.
- New language: Kickapoo
- New language: Soga
- New constructed script: Sanshuino
- New article: The Translation Profession
- New article: Italian: Not Just for Italians
- New phrases page: Cape Verdean Creole
- New language: Franco-Provençal
- New constructed script: Kenamoya
- New article: Start a Dynamic Career by Learning a New Language - Arabic
- New article: I Want to Learn Chinese, Should I Learn Mandarin or Cantonese?
- New language and alphabet: Sasak
- New constructed script: Berdikari
- New language: West Polesian
- New language: Mescalero-Chiricahua
- New constructed script: Sticks
- More news