Information about alphabets and other writing systems.
- What is writing?
- Differences between writing and speech
- Types of writing system
- A-Z index
- Direction index
Learn the basics of many languages.
- Useful phrases and other phrases
- How to learn languages
- Numbers, colours and time expressions, kinship terms
- Idioms, proverbs and tongue twisters
- Country and language names
- UDHR, Tower of Babel and Songs
- Chinese and Celtic languages
- Find language tutors in the USA or UK
Scripts invented for by visitors to Ommniglot, and for books, films, etc.
- Constructed scripts for natural languages
- Constructed scripts for constructed languages
- Fictional scripts
- Phonetic scripts
- Adapted scripts
- A-Z index
- How to submit a con-script
Information about languages, language-related articles and videos.
New and improved pages on Omniglot.
- New phrases page: Altay
- New tongue twisters page in: Irish
- New constructed script: Levitic
- New constructed script: Kalis
- New numbers page: Tulu
- New numbers page: Gothic
- New adapted script: Yuht Tai Sé Fòng Faat / 粵泰寫方法
- New article: 10 Reasons to Learn a Second Language
- New numbers page: Maithili
- New Tower of Babel translation: Tulu
- New article: So-called 'untranslatables' complicate word-for-word equivalent translation while providing unique cultural insight
- New article: Why and how to learn minority languages
- New constructed script: Yembik
- New phrases page: Aymara
- New phrases page: Maithili
- More news