Introductions to alphabets and other writing systems, including almost all the writing systems currently in use and many extinct ones.
- What is writing?
- Differences between writing and speech
- Types of writing system
- A-Z index
- Direction index
A collection of scripts invented by visitors to Omniglot, and for use in books, films, TV programmes and computer games.
- Natural languages
- Constructed languages
- Fictional language
- Phonetic scripts
- Adapted scripts
- A-Z index
- How to submit a con-script
Introductions to many languages, details of language families, advice on how to learn languages, and language-related articles and videos.
- Language profiles
- Language families
- Language learning advice
- Language-related articles
- Language learning videos
- Learn Hebrew online
A collection of phrases, numbers idioms, tongue twisters and other material you can use to learn the basics of many different languages.
- Useful phrases and Other phrases
- Numbers, Colours and Time expressions
- Kinship terms, Idioms, proverbs and tongue twisters
- Country and language names, and songs
- Find language tutors (USA) | Find language tutors (UK)
New and improved pages on Omniglot.
- New article: ESL Pull-out projects vs. Total Immersion - Which Language Learning Method is More Effective
- New con-script: Flownetic
- New numbers page: Mapuche
- New article: Reduplication reflects uniqueness and innovation in language, thought and culture
- New recordings: Tigrinya phrases
- New numbers page: Yami/Tao
- New language: Yami/Tao
- New language: Satawalese
- New article: Five Common Misunderstandings About the Korean Language
- New song: La Plume de ma Tante
- New article: How the Language You Speak Affects Your Worldview
- New con-script: Kerigal
- New gallery section: Illustrated Australian Idioms
- New con-script: Aziana
- New article: American Sign Language - More Than Just Hands
- New 'useful' phrase: Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
- More news