Here’s the latest news from the world of Omniglot.
There are new language pages about:
- Gulf Arabic (خليجي), a variety of Arabic spoken mainly around the Persian Gulf in the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Egypt, Saudi Arabic, Oman, Qatar and other countries.
- Kusaal (Kʋsaal), a Gur language spoken mainly in northern Ghana, and also in Burkina Faso and Togo.
- Southern Birifor (Birfoɔr), a Gur language spoken in northern Ghana and northeastern Côte d’Ivoire
There are new numbers pages in:
- Proto-Polynesian, the reconstructed ancestor of all modern Polynesian languages.
- Emae (Fakamakata), a Polynesian language spoken mainly on the island of Emae in Shefa province of Vanuatu.
There are new family words pages in:
- Lao (ພາສາລາວ), a Tai-Kadai language spoken mainly in Laos, and also in Cambodia and Vietnam.
- Thai (ภาษาไทย), a Tai-Kadai language spoken mainly in Thailand
There are now recordings of all the Finnish numbers
Here’s a clue: this language is spoken in parts of West Africa.
The mystery language in last week’s language quiz was Isan (ภาษาอีสาน), a Lao-Phutai language spoken in the Isan region in the northeast of Thailand.