The Tower of Babel (Genesis 11: 1-9)
Wycliffe version (1395) - Middle English
- Forsothe the lond was of o langage, and of the same speche.
- And whanne thei yeden forth fro the eest, thei fonden a feeld
in the lond of Sennaar, and dwelliden ther ynne.
- And oon seide to his neiybore, Come ye, and make we tiel stonys,
and bake we tho with fier; and thei hadden tiel for stonus, and
pitche for morter;
- and seiden, Come ye, and make we to vs a citee and tour, whos
hiynesse stretche 'til to heuene; and make we solempne oure name
bifor that we be departid in to alle londis.
- Forsothe the Lord cam down to se the citee and tour, which the
sones of Adam bildiden.
- And he seide, Lo! the puple is oon, and o langage is to alle,
and thei han bigunne to make this, nethir thei schulen ceesse of
her thouytis, til thei fillen tho in werk; therfor come ye, go
- and scheende we there the tunge of hem, that ech man here not
the voys of his neiybore.
- And so the Lord departide hem fro that place in to alle londis;
and thei cessiden to bielde a cytee.
- And therfor the name therof was clepid Babel, for the langage of
al erthe was confoundide there; and fro thennus the Lord scaterede
hem on the face of alle cuntrees.
Tyndale version (1536)
- And all the world was of one tonge and one language.
- And as they came from the east they founde a playne in the lande
of Synear and there they dwelled.
- And they sayd one to a nother: come on let us make brycke ad burne
it wyth fyre. So brycke was there stone and slyme was there morter
- And they sayd: Come on let vs buylde vs a cyte and a toure that the
toppe may reach vnto heauen. And let vs make us a name for perauenture
we shall be scatered abrode over all the erth.
- And the LORde came downe to see the cyte and the toure which the
childern of Ada had buylded.
- And the LORde sayd: See the people is one and haue one tonge amonge
them all. And thys haue they begon to do and wyll not leaue of from all
that they haue purposed to do.
- Come on let vs descende and myngell theire tonge even there that
one vnderstonde not what a nother sayeth.
- Thus ye LORde skatered them from thence vppon all the erth. And
they left of to buylde the cyte.
- Wherfore the name of it is called Babell because that the LORDE
there confounded the tonge of all the world. And because that the
LORde from thence skatered them abrode vppon all the erth.
King James version (1611)
- And the whole earth was of one language, and of one
- And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east,
that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt
- And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick,
and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and
slime had they for morter.
- And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower,
whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name,
lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
- And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower,
which the children of men builded.
- And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they
have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now
nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined
- Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language,
that they may not understand one another's speech.
- So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the
face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
- Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the
LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and
from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face
of all the earth.
Douay Rheims version (1899)
- And the earth was of one tongue, and of the same speech.
- And when they removed from the east, they found a plain in the land of Sennaar, and dwelt in it.
- And each one said to his neighbour: Come, let us make brick, and bake them of stones, and slime instead of mortar.
- And they said: Come, let us make a city and a tower, the top whereof may reach to heaven: and let us make our name famous before we be scattered abroad into all lands.
- And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of Adam were building.
- And he said: Behold, it is one people, and all have one tongue: and they have begun to do this, neither will they leave off from their designs, till they accomplish them in deed.
- Come ye, therefore, let us go down, and there may not understand one another's speech.
- And so the Lord scattered them from that place into all lands, and they ceased to build the city.
- And therefore the name thereof was called Babel, because there the language of the whole earth was confounded: and from thence the Lord scattered them abroad upon the face of all countries.
Basic English version (1949)
- And all the earth had one language and one tongue.
- And it came about that in their wandering from the east,
they came to a stretch of flat country in the land of Shinar,
and there they made their living-place.
- And they said one to another, Come, let us make bricks,
burning them well. And they had bricks for stone, putting
them together with sticky earth.
- And they said, Come, let us make a town, and a tower whose
top will go up as high as heaven; and let us make a great name
for ourselves, so that we may not be wanderers over the face
of the earth.
- And the Lord came down to see the town and the tower which
the children of men were building.
- And the Lord said, See, they are all one people and have all
one language; and this is only the start of what they may do:
and now it will not be possible to keep them from any purpose
- Come, let us go down and take away the sense of their language,
so that they will not be able to make themselves clear to one another.
- So the Lord God sent them away into every part of the earth: and
they gave up building their town.
- So it was named Babel, because there the Lord took away the sense
of all languages and from there the Lord sent them away over all the
face of the earth.
New International Version (1973)
- Now the whole world had one language and a common
- As men moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinar
and settled there.
- They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks
and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of
stone, and tar for mortar.
- Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a
city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we
may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the
face of the whole earth."
- But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower
that the men were building.
- The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same
language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan
to do will be impossible for them.
- Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they
will not understand each other."
- So the LORD scattered them from there over all the earth,
and they stopped building the city.
- That is why it was called Babel -- because there the
LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there
the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth.
English Standard Version (2002)
- Now the whole earth had one language and the same words.
- And as people migrated from the east, they found a plain in
the land of Shinar and settled there.
- And they said to one another, "Come, let us make bricks,
and burn them thoroughly." And they had brick for stone,
and bitumen for mortar.
- Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city and
a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for
ourselves, lest we be dispersed over the face of the whole earth."
- And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which
the children of man had built.
- And the Lord said, "Behold, they are one people, and they
have all one language, and this is only the beginning of what they
will do. And nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible
- Come, let us go down and there confuse their language, so that
they may not understand one another's speech."
- So the Lord dispersed them from there over the face of all the
earth, and they left off building the city.
- Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the Lord confused
the language of all the earth. And from there the Lord dispersed them
over the face of all the earth.
Tower of Babel in Germanic languages
Anglo-Saxon / Old English,
Low Saxon / Low German,
Other Tower of Babel translations
By language |
By language family
Learn Chinese Characters with the Omniglot Chinese app