Here’s the latest news from the world of Omniglot.
There are new language pages about:
- Bahing (बायुङ्), a Western Kiranti language spoken in the west of Koshi Province in eastern Nepal.
- Jirel (ཇི་རེ་ལ་ / जिरेल), a Southern Tibetic language spoken mainly in Bagmati Province in eastern Nepal.
- Kahua (Anganiwai), a Southeast Solomonic language spoken on Makira island in the Solomon Islands
New writing system: Meetei Yelhou Mayek, a way to write Manipuri revived / created by Naoriya Phulo in the 1930s.
New phrases pages:
- Korku (कोरकू), a Munda language spoken mainly in the states of Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra in central India.
- Kagate (स्युबा), a Tibetic language spoken in Bagmati Province in eastern Nepal.
- Samogitian (žemaitiu kalba), an Eastern Baltic language spoken in the Samogitia region in western Lithuania.
New numbers pages: Samogitian (žemaitiu kalba), an Eastern Baltic language spoken in the Samogitia region in western Lithuania.
There are new Omniglot blog posts about Duostories – translations of the stories from Duolingo in many languages, including ones not featured on Duolingo, and World Endangered Writing Day, a day to celebrate the world’s minority and indigenous scripts and communities, and there’s the usual Language Quiz. See if you can guess what language this is:
Here’s a clue: this language is spoken mainly in Togo in West Africa.
The mystery language in last week’s language quiz was Interlingue (Occidental), an international auxiliary language based on Western European languages that was developed by Edgar von Wahl in the 1920s.
Radio Omniglot podcasts are brought to you in association with Blubrry Podcast Hosting, a great place to host your podcasts. Get your first month free with the promo code omniglot.