Tumbuka is a Bantu language spoken by about 2 million in northern
and central Malawi, and the Lundazi District of Zambia. The Tumbuka
spoken in urban areas differs significantly from that spoken in rural
areas, which is considered by some as the "real Tumbuka".
Tumbuka has no official status in either Malawi or Zambia. It
is used to some extent in literature in Zambia, but in Malawi
the only Tumbuka literature permitted is religous material.
- Ningenda uli kukafika ku Mutatha? = How do I get to Mutatha?
- Munganilongola pa mapu? = Can you show me on the map?
- Mukunitolela nkhu? = Where are you taking me to?
- Nkhukhumba niyowoyesgane na mu manyi ma lango = I want to talk to a lawyer
- Kasi mukuzomerezga ndalama za ma Paundi gha Buriteni= Do you accept British pounds?
Information about Tumbuka |
Phrases in Tumbuka |
Tower of Babel in Tumbuka
Information about the Tumbuka language
Online Tumbuka lessons
Other languages written with the Latin alphabet