Tai Hongjin (Taj₄hong₆tjin₃)

Tai Hongjin is a Southwestern Tai language spoken by about 55,000 people mainly in Yunan Province in the southwest of China, particularly between the Red River and the Jinsha River in Xinping Yi and Dai Autonomous County in southern Yunan. There are also speakers of Tai Hongjin in Chiang Rai Province in northern Thailand.

Tai Hongjin is also known as Red Tai, Tai Ya, Tai Cung, Tai Chung or Dai Ya. There are five dialects of Tai Hongjin which are only partially mutually intelligible: Yuanxin, Yongwu, Maguan, Yuanjiang and Lushi.

It is not traditionally written, however there is a a rich oral tradition. There is a way to write Tai Hongjin with the Latin alphabet.

Latin alphabet for Tai Hongjin

Latin alphabet for Tai Hongjin


The tones 7-10 only appear in closed syllables (ending with a consonant).

Download an alphabet chart for Tai Hongjin (Excel)
Details of the Tai Hongjin alphabet provided by Wolfram Siegel

Information about Tai Hongjin | Numbers


Information about Tai Hongjin

Tai-Kaidai languages

Ahom, Aiton, Bouyei, Isan, Kam, Khamti, (Tai) Khün, Lao, Lue, Northern Thai (Kam Mueang), Nùng, Shan, Sui, Tai Dam, Tai Dón, Tai Hongjin, Tai Laing, Tai Nuea, Tai Phake, Tai Ya, Thai, Thai Song, Yang Zhuang, Zhuang

Languages writing with the Tai Viet script

Tai Dam, Tai Dón, Thai Song

Page created: 07.08.23. Last modified: 07.08.23


Green Web Hosting - Kualo

Why not share this page:


Talk in Arabic - Learn Egyptian, Iraqi, Levantine, Sundanese, Moroccan, Algerian or Saudi Arabic

If you like this site and find it useful, you can support it by making a donation via PayPal or Patreon, or by contributing in other ways. Omniglot is how I make my living.


Note: all links on this site to Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr are affiliate links. This means I earn a commission if you click on any of them and buy something. So by clicking on these links you can help to support this site.

Get a 30-day Free Trial of Amazon Prime (UK)

If you're looking for home or car insurance in the UK, why not try Policy Expert?