Adventures in Etymology – Nogging

In today’s Adventure in Etymology we’re looking at the word nogging.

Studio / Stwdio
This photo shows the studio that is being built in my garden. The noggings are the short pieces of wood that have been fitted between the long beams, according to my builder.

A nogging [ˈnɒɡɪŋ] is:

  • a short horizontal timber member used between the studs of a framed partition
  • masonry or brickwork between the timber members of a framed construction
  • a number of wooden pieces fitted between the timbers of a half-timbered wall

A nogging is also known as a nog or dwang (in Scotland and New Zealand), and comes from the verb to nog (to fill in with brickwork, to fasten with treenails) [source].

It is unclear where nogging or nog come from – possibly from Scots, where the noun nog means a peg, pin or small block of wood, and the verb to nog means to drive in a peg, post or the like [source]

Nogging should not be confused with noggin (a small mug, cup or ladle; a small measure of spirits or a slang word for head), the origins of which are unknown [source].

Here’s a video I made of this information:

Video made with Doodly – an easy-to-use animated video creator [affiliate link].

I also write about words, etymology, and other language-related topics, on the Omniglot Blog, and I explore etymological connections between Celtic languages on the Celtiadur.

You can also listen to this podcast on: Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, Stitcher, TuneIn, Podchaser, PlayerFM or podtail.

If you would like to support this podcast, you can make a donation via PayPal or Patreon, or contribute to Omniglot in other ways.

Blubrry podcast hosting

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *