A selection of language courses, dictionaries and other materials for learning Bengali, an eastern Indo-Aryan language spoken mainly in Bangladesh and the Indian state of West Bengal.
by William Radice
- a good introduction to spoken and written Bengali. Includes a course book containing dialogues, grammatical notes, exercises and cultural information, together with two cassettes or CDs with recordings of some of the dialogues and exercises.
Aims to get you to Level B2 of the Common European Framework for Languages: i.e. able to converse with a degree of fluency and spontaneity with native speakers without strain for either party.
by Mithun B. Nasrin & W.A.M. van der Wurff
- provides a step-by-step approach to written and spoken Bengali with no prior knowledge of the language required. Covers both Bengali of Bangladesh and West Bengali and gently eases you into the Bengali script. Includes interactive exercises for regular practice, clear and concise grammar notes, a practical vocabulary and pronunciation guide, an answer key and reference section. Two CDs, recorded by native speakers, accompany the book and help develop listening and pronunciation skills.
Aims to give you the ability to communicate confidently and effectively in a broad range of everyday situations.
by Hanne Ruth-Thompson
- the most up-to-date and comprehensive two-way Bengali dictionary currently available. Includes current vocabulary and usage - more than 13,000 total entries, each with transliteration, word class information, and pronunciation aid.
by Hanne Ruth-Thompson
- contains all the essential language that a traveller to Bangladesh or West Bengal needs to communicate. The dictionary offers instant access to key words, while the phrasebook covers topics including introductions, travel, accommodations, and sight-seeing. A concise grammar section provides an overview of the language.
by Richard Delacy & Shahara Ahmed
- a handy little phrasebook for travelling in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Contains a comprehensive mix of practical and social words and phrases.
Books in Bengali are available from
[ other sections ]
None of the items listed in this bookstore are supplied by Omniglot. When you click on the links here you will be taken to other websites where you can buy the items. If you have any questions about your orders or purchases, please contact the relevant company, not Omniglot.
If you need to type in many different languages, the Q International Keyboard can help. It enables you to type almost any language that uses the Latin, Cyrillic or Greek alphabets, and is free.