Many people view French as one of the most beautiful languages in the world because of its preciseness and way in which it can be eloquently spoken. Due to it's fairly complex syntax and deformation of verbs French can sometimes be difficult to learn for beginners, but learning any language is a challenge well worth undertaking. If you are like me, you will want to be able to speak French as quickly as possible, so I have given you five tips that have helped me speed up my learning curve significantly.
1. Label Items - Label common items around your home with the item name written in French. I feel this is one of the easiest and most underused techniques in learning a new language. By by labeling common household items, within a few short days, you will easily learn the names of many commonly used vocabulary terms.
2. Use French Phrases - Use French phrases for normal every day conversations. Learn the most common phrases Such as "Good morning", "Goodbye", and "How are you", so you can open and carry normal conversation topics. When you greet someone during the day think about how you would say the phrase in French. You can do this in many different places, but one of my favorite is the supermarket. People are warm and friendly and it is a great place to learn short and common conversation in a low pressure environment.
This will get you out in the environment learning to think in French as well. You'll probably be surprised that by only learning a few common phrases you can soon begin to have lengthy conversations.
3. Think in French - Practice thinking about things in French. I always recommend to plan out your day in your mind but try doing it using the French language. At first this may be difficult but it will quickly become easier as you get used to it. Learning languages is all about practice, practice, and more practice. The more you practice the better and more efficient you will be at learning the language.
4. Speak Out Loud - I know this one sounds simple but speaking the words out loud is important to learn the correct pronunciation. A simple and fun way to learn pronunciation is to learn a song in French. There are many children's songs that prove to be great tools for learning French pronunciation.
5. Listen Intently - Listen to how the French language is spoken. I always recommend learning to French radio programs and TV channels. If you don't have access to French radio or TV, you can listen to thousands of French radio stations for free on the Internet. Or, you can purchase your favorite movie and select the French language option when viewing it.
Of course it is always good to mix and match these tips and even combined them to help you learn French quickly. It is important you make it fun to do and don't treat it as a chore. By using these tips in conjunction with French classes you can easily pick up great new language.