Talk in a language you don't know

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.

Re: Talk in a language you don't know

Postby linguoboy » Fri 27 Jul 2012 11:18 pm

Tikolm wrote:
Elijah wrote:ひらがながわかる, でもかたかなとかんじとわからない.
hiragana ga wakaru, demo katakana to kanji to wakaranai.
ぼくのにほんごはよくないだ: べんきょうしています.
boku no nihongo wa yokunai da: benkyou shite imasu.

(Because I don't know Japanese, and Google Translate is all I've got on hand as a translator, I'll just assume I'm replying to this: "Hiragana is known, but do not know and feel and Katakana. I'm not good in Japanese: I have been studying.")

"Feel" represents a mistranslation of kanji. (One of the chief problems with writing solely in kana is the many homophones.)
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Sat 28 Jul 2012 12:47 am

linguoboy wrote:"Feel" represents a mistranslation of kanji. (One of the chief problems with writing solely in kana is the many homophones.)

I wondered what happened to kanji. Now it makes sense.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Sat 28 Jul 2012 1:15 am

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:"Feel" represents a mistranslation of kanji. (One of the chief problems with writing solely in kana is the many homophones.)

I wondered what happened to kanji. Now it makes sense.

感じ "feeling" (< 感じる "to feel")
漢字 "kanji"
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » Wed 01 Aug 2012 2:41 pm

Կատուն մահիճին վրայ կը քնանար. Ան արթնցցաւ քանզի արթնցայ.
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Thu 02 Aug 2012 6:38 pm

linguoboy wrote:Կատուն մահիճին վրայ կը քնանար. Ան արթնցցաւ քանզի արթնցայ.

???? Can you be a little more specific about what you mean to those of us who don't know this language?

In response to the "Welsh speakers don't usually advertise themselves" argument -- I won't get too specific about where I live for privacy reasons, but the culture seems to be pretty much {x: x ∉ Welsh} so I'd expect the linguistic diversity to be about the same. Most of what people speak is English, with the occasional bits of French thrown in there because everybody's supposed to know French. Usually you don't run across anyone who speaks anything outside of those two languages.
And if that explanation wasn't satisfactory, then tant pis.
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Thu 02 Aug 2012 8:24 pm

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Կատուն մահիճին վրայ կը քնանար. Ան արթնցցաւ քանզի արթնցայ.

???? Can you be a little more specific about what you mean to those of us who don't know this language?

Why not try your luck with Google Translate?
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Fri 03 Aug 2012 1:28 am

linguoboy wrote:Why not try your luck with Google Translate?

Well, okay, I'll try it, but remember, I'll have to pick through most of the languages there before I find anything (which is easier said than done). You're making more work for me. You'll remember that everyone else was kind enough to provide translations of what we said.
*after trying it* Google Translate suggested Armenian and gave me this: "Cat on the couch and walk. He artntstsaw for artntsay." Now you see why you need to post a translation if you want to be understood. This is worse than "mae'r gath yn cysgu braster ar y mat".
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Fri 03 Aug 2012 3:29 pm

Ծառը պարտէզին հայրը է.
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Fri 03 Aug 2012 5:36 pm

linguoboy wrote:Ծառը պարտէզին հայրը է.

"WITNESS the father of the tree." According to GT, anyway. Father of the tree? What? I really wish you'd provide translations, but if you're not going to, then I'm just going to ignore you and go off on my own little senseless tangent.
Mae'r cathod dew yn cysgu ar y ddôr. Haws dweud cathod na mynd oddi tanynt. Tros y môr mae fy 'nghariad. &c., &c., &c.
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Sat 04 Aug 2012 4:34 am

Tikolm wrote:Mae'r cathod dew yn cysgu ar y ddôr.

Ydy'r ddôr yn gorwedd ar ei hochr?

Tikolm wrote:Haws dweud cathod na mynd oddi tanynt.

Mynd oddi tanynt means "going from under them", which sounds a bit off. Mynd danyn nhw would be the usual way to say "going under them" in modern Welsh. Tanynt sounds quite literary. If you want to use that form, it would be better to cast the whole sentence in the same register, i.e. Haws dywedyd cathod na myned tanynt.
linguoboy

PreviousNext

Return to Languages other than English