Introducing: žeŋ

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Introducing: žeŋ

Postby Kshaard » Thu 07 Jun 2012 12:39 pm

Dan, where did you find the words 'patronymic' and 'matronymic'? I have never seen those before!

Before the prepositions, just a little orthographical note...

The words l, y, nte, and most adjectives all have a syllabic at the front or the back. But these shouldn't be written as is if before or after a vowel in a different word.
"y l ot" means in a place and is three syllables long. But it should be written with an apostrophe after 'l' to signify that it's not syllabic. So it should be written "y l' ot".
More examples -
ra ntereŋs > ra 'ntereŋs (the internet or, literally, the networks)
gε msez > gε 'msez (someone knows)
l obežs vfera > l' obežs vfera (some things are happening, some things are being done)

Now prepositions.

Here are several -
y - in/into
ün - on/onto
ðe - at/to/towards
nte - before/in front of
paüä (three syllables) - after/behind
ntere - between
ədŧ - with
ədar - without
olm - about
kom - like (does this count as a preposition or is it something else?)
ryimo - near/by/next to

They are separate words so do not 'stick' to the word they are in relation to. They are not postpositions so they go before a noun in the accusative position.

Example: ra rwu restp ryimo ra renohä rεžy. (Yes this begins all with an 'r' on purpose)
Meaning: The king was staying near the red door.

Extra note: if there is two different 'hes' 'shes' or 'its' in one sentence, the first one mentioned is il/el/al and the second one is heh/šeh/keh. This is also used for clarity, eg. in my post on the thread 'Translate into your own conlang'.

Next post is about questions and the words related.
Kshaard

Postby Kshaard » Wed 04 Jul 2012 8:25 pm

Oops, haven't updated this in a while :oops:
No I haven't totally left the forum for good, but it looks at though finally a few more people are actually using this space than just me and Tikolm.

Anyway, question words are only used in question sentences, so in a sentence like: "I forgot how to do that." a different word than 'how' would be used. Question words do not alter the order of a sentence as they do in many IndoEuropean languages, so it would be "You do what?" rather than "What do you?"
(Which would be "tuh fera kwon?" because why not)
If a question doesn't use a question word then the main verb of the sentence is moved right to the front.

List of žeŋan question words (can be pluralised with -s):
kwel - which (of a group)
kwon - what
kwoš - how (many, much, big, orange etc.)
kwot - where
kwε - who
oy - how (adverb)
wer - why
weyn - when
εyn - what kind of

Non question versions:
kwel - ra obež
kwon - ra obež
kwoš - ra 'yfka
kwot - ra ot
kwε - ra pur
oy - ra hwi ('hw' pronounced "puff of air" before voiced [w])
wer - ra zŋü
weyn - ŋeš ra taεm
εyn - ra vobmεth ('th' pronounced "heavily aspirated t")

Using all the information in previous posts, it should be possible to translate these into žeŋ:
1) Translating this thing would be very easy.
2) But no one will find it.
3) How can seven billion people not find this?
4) I don't know how. Let's hope someone will tell me. (əsbär - to hope)
5) Let's not be the worst ears.
6) All this is quite okay.
Kshaard

Postby Elijah » Wed 01 Aug 2012 5:57 pm

The 'You do what?' thing is widespread among non Indo European languages: I know that it takes place in Chinese: eg Mandarin Ni3 chi1 shen2me? (2s eat what?) "What do you eat?" and Ni3 chi1 hua1 (2s eat flower) "You eat flowers."

The numbers after the words represent the tones. I can't do diacritics on my computer. :-)
Native: American English
Learning: Mandarin, Burmese, Japanese
Want to learn: Cantonese, ASL, Basque?
Elijah

Postby Tikolm » Thu 02 Aug 2012 6:58 pm

The Celtic languages don't have a separate word order for questions either. I can't give you any details, though. Tikolmian (because I have to bring up my conlangs everywhere :roll:) also does the interrogative-word-last business, but it has a separate word order for class 1a and 2a questions (VSO; SOV is the default word order for everything else). I use "class 1a and 2a" here to refer respectively to polar questions with indefinite answers and interrogative questions with indefinite answers ("indefinite" meaning you're not certain of the answer).
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby Kshaard » Thu 04 Apr 2013 8:12 am

To all zero of you who's listening, žeŋ is done. I though it wasn't interesting enough, nor naturalistic enough. So now, the same concountry is speaking Jengief instead.
Kshaard

Previous

Return to Conlangery