Lexicon Software

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Lexicon Software

Postby Matthew » Fri 13 Apr 2012 10:58 pm

Greetings all, I am new to the site and had a question. I have a conlang whose vocabulary size is getting to the point where keeping a dictionary in Microsoft Word is becoming ... inconvenient. My language has a completely different alphabet (and alphabetical order) than any existing, and as such, I'm looking for a lexicon/dictionary-creating software that will accommodate. I need to be able to control the font in each text field so that what needs to be in Roman characters is in Roman characters, and what is in my language is in its own font. Also, perhaps just as important, for the lexical entries that are in my language, I would like to be able to specify an alphabetical sequence other than Roman. Anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks!
Matthew
Matthew

Re: Lexicon Software

Postby kaenif » Sat 14 Apr 2012 11:25 am

Just found this page, may be useful: http://conlang.wikia.com/wiki/Language_tools#Dictionary

Anyway, looks like Excel can solve most of your problems! I keep all my lexicon, sample sentences and conjugation tables in Excel.
For the alphabetical sort thing, it seems that Excel does not support wildcards in custom sort orders, but you could always specify helper columns, like using LEFT([cell],1) to separate the first letter in the first column, and so on with the second, third letters (that should be enough). Then specify a custom sort order by your alphabetical sequence to sort the table by the helper columns.
Of course there are other software to use, but most do not offer so many function like Excel imo.

Edit: Just discovered some options; WeSay is quite well-rounded at first glance. I have used Lexique Pro before but I'm not really fond of it. It looks quite tidy though.
Can you recognise this character?
Nope, it's not shāng. It is a 囧 with a hat which 囧ed its chin off!
囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧囧!
kaenif

Postby Matthew » Sat 14 Apr 2012 4:03 pm

I thought about Excel, though I don't know its ins and outs very well. I just keep thinking, the software I'm looking for must be the type that is used for creating, say, an English-Russian dictionary, or English-Hebrew. But who knows if that kind of software is publicly available :) Thanks for the info, I will try Excel.
Matthew

Postby benny335 » Sun 15 Apr 2012 3:38 pm

Exel works great for me.
benny335

Postby Kshaard » Wed 09 May 2012 9:12 pm

Use wordpad just because it takes shorter to load than Word :P
Kshaard

Return to Conlangery