Introducing...Cynrethil

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Introducing...Cynrethil

Postby imbecilica » Sun 06 Dec 2009 6:23 pm

I have revised the Cynrethian alphabet:

Consonants:
b /b/
c /k/
ċ /tʃ/
d /d/
đ /ð/ - can also be written as dh
f /f/
g /g/
h /h/
ġ /dʒ/
l /l/
m /m/
n /n/
ŋ /ŋ/ - can also be written as ng
p /p/
r /r/
s /s/
ṡ /ʃ/ - can also be written as sh
t /t/
ŧ /θ/ - can also be written as th
v /v/
w /w/
x /x/
y* /j/ - can also be written as j*
z /z/
ż /ʒ/ - can also be writen as zh

Vowels:
a /æ/
ȧ /ɑ/ - can also be written as aa
e /ɛ/
ė /ə/ - can also be written as ee
i /ɪ/
o /ɒ/
u /ʊ/
y /ɨ/

In written Cynrethian, the word order is now SOV. However, there must be a marker placed in between the subject and the object - with the marker being ȧ. I can either be ic or aer (Ic derives from Southern Cynrethia, Aer originating from the North). In informal speech, ȧ can be replaced by ni, omitted, or the word order can be changed into SVO - but in this last case ni is put between the verb and object.

eg. I give to you...
Formal Written: Ic ȧ đu giftȧ
Informal Spoken 1: Ic ni đu giftȧ
Informal Spoken 2: Ic đu giftȧ
Informal Spoken 3: Ic giftȧ ni đu
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby imbecilica » Sun 06 Dec 2009 6:50 pm

I only recently got back to working on Cynrethian and Yondae after 2 weeks of just plain nothingness. Anyway here is a list of some more verbs for you to fiddle with:

As English speakers, you will have little trouble recognising a lot of vocabulary.

hitȧn - to hit
fricȧn - to hit hard, to strike
ṡildȧn - to shield, to protect
nȧmȧn - to name
benȧmȧn - to be called, to be named
filȧn - to feel
serċȧn - to search, to find
brywȧn - to stir up, *slang - to stir up trouble
braeđȧn - to breathe
befryndȧn - to befriend
cȧstȧn - to place
hidȧn - to hide

Simple past tense - remove ȧn, add ed (with the exception of verbs that end in d before the ȧn - in which case, is used).

Adjective - add an extra iṡ to the base.
Adverb - add an extra liċ to the base of the adjective.

Try to solve these (Use formal written):

1. I befriended him
2. They hide and seek (search)
3. She stirred up trouble
4. He feels good
5. We are all called (named)...

Spoiler alert! Answers:
1. Ic ȧ him befrynded
2. đae hidȧ cȧ serċȧ
3. ṡi brywed
4. Hi godliċ filȧ
5. Wir ȧlė benȧmed...
Last edited by imbecilica on Sun 06 Dec 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Ic ȧ Cynreŧil liċȧ.

Postby VROOR » Sun 06 Dec 2009 6:55 pm

Since "aerȧs" is the formal form of "aer", what is the formal form of "ic"? The background of Cynrethil now seems to be influenced by two separate groups of people, one from the north whilst the other from the south. Thus, would it not be correct to presume that, the Cynrethil would possess more varied vocabularies and grammar due to such influences? In fact, perhaps it is safe to conclude there would be two dialects of Cynrethil (Northern and Southern) besides the Standard Cynrethil?
ImageImage
VROOR

Postby imbecilica » Mon 07 Dec 2009 3:36 am

The formal for ic is simply icȧs. There are many dialects throughout the land of Cynrethia but there are two main dialects, the Northern and Southern. The standard written language depends on where you are, as the land is being ruled by two separate kings (North and South). The north use northern, the southerners use southern. As for the differences, these are quite few as the kingdom is rather small. There are only small differences and variations in vocabulary, slang and pronunciation, but they are overall mutually intelligible. When I have the time, I'll go further into the Lore of Cynrethia.

An example of subtle differences is how the adverb is marked by -liċ in the North and -leċ in the South. Ic is colloquially pronounced Ec.

Ic ȧ hai-lernigym morgenliċ cymȧft, ȧ đu ŧiŋėn ubėsprecȧn.
[I MARKER high-learn-place tomorrow-ly come-FUTURE, MARKER you thing-plural chat/talk.]
I will come to school tomorrow, to talk to you about things.

Simple future tense - take away ȧn and add ȧft or colloquially ȧv.
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Tikolm » Mon 10 May 2010 10:02 pm

Wow, I didn't realize you had so many conlangs, Imbecilica. I thought you had only one or two. I think all of them are nice, at least the ones I've seen. Cynrethil sounds sort of Germanic - is it supposed to be?
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby imbecilica » Tue 11 May 2010 4:52 am

Yes it's meant to have a medieval kind of feel to it. Yeah, I have many unfinished conlangs. Here is a list of all the conlangs I've ever made (that I can remember).

Qintari - my first ever conlang* influenced by Japanese and Vietnamese.
Urobasican - my first eurolang, very ugly orthography.
Old Urobasican - based on Urobasican but with a Latin influence.
Espiritolan - evolved from Urobasican, more "developed" than Urobasican.
Espiritolhan - evolved from Espiritolan, my current euroland. Huge Portuguese influence.
Yongyahn - a tonal conlang I worked on for a brief period of time. SE Asian influenced.
Yondae - my first conlang written in a non-Latin script. Korean influenced.
Yondae'eo - one of my current projects. Based on Yondae.
Thyrrian - a very whacky highly agglutinative conlang. Tolkienesque.
Cynrethil - a Germanic inspired conlang.

There are more, but I just simply cannot remember them :P

In addition I've made some pretty shocking conscripts. Some of which include:

Qintari alphabet - influenced by the Taiwanese Zhuyin. Used as an alternative script for Qintari.
Tan Viet Tu - 'New Viet script. inspired by Brahmi style scripts, but especially the Tai-Viet script.
Thyrrian - inspired by Tengwar used for writing Thyrrian.
Chu Nom* - Chu Nom is actually a real writing system that was developed and used by Vietnamese elites since about the 13th century AD. It uses Chinese characters as a base to form new characters to represent native Vietnamese words not found in Chinese. Though pretty much all modern words can be transcribed by Chu Nom, I create and use my own characters for certain words as many existing Chu Nom characters, I feel, can be better represented by a new character.
Clicky > My BLOG
imbecilica

Postby Tikolm » Tue 11 May 2010 11:59 am

I have a lot of conlangs too, but I've only kept three of them and only one is being actively worked on. I find it hard to have lots of conlangs at once - what about you?
My first conlang was Snargle. I made it up by typing random letters on the keyboard. That's how it got its name. I think my second conlang was Tikolmian. That's the one I'm working on right now. It's a "codelang" as we call it - it's basically English with all the letters changed to different ones. Fooblian, I think, was my third and it got redone at one point. It used to be a priori, but it got turned to a codelang too. At somepoint I come up with Renyguvaev, which was another codelang based on Macedonian. It was pronounced a lot like IPA. Vipdix was a sort of transliteration of someone else's conlang, Viozian. Viozian inspired me to make up languages. I also made up an unnamed romlang at one point, but it never really got anywhere. There was also Sylvestrian, which I have forgotten everything about, and Sylvanian which I decided to keep and is based on Latin and Greek.

Nobody's posting on my first thread, "My conlangs: Tikolmian, Fooblian and Sylvanian". Are you interested in my languages? Would you like to post on it?
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Previous

Return to Conlangery