What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: What languages are you learning and plan to learn?

Postby Remd » Mon 15 Feb 2010 6:03 pm

Well, at least here in Spain it is much easier to practise Romanian than Korean or Hindi, and there are a lot of live speakers, although it is true that there aren't too many resources...But, there aren't so many resources for Korean or Hindi either. Maybe Czebra is planning a trip to countries where those languages are spoken and that's why he/she thinks it'll be easier to learn them.
Remd

Postby Sobekhotep » Wed 17 Feb 2010 1:53 am

Talib wrote:I'm not asking why he/she's learning those, I'm just curious why he/she says he/she won't be able to learn Korean and Hindi.

What I meant to imply was that maybe Czebra is learning the languages in order of how much s/he likes them and wants to stop learning languages at some point. There are lots of languages I'd love to learn but at some point I'll have to stop learning new languages.
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby DmitryS » Fri 19 Feb 2010 11:28 am

My plan is the following:

First priority:
German, English - to mother tongue level, currently - advanced
Italian - high level, currently - upper intermediate
Indonesian, Chinese, French - high level, currently lower intermediate
Japanese - upper intermediate, currently zero level
Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, Filipino - intermediate

Second priority:
Arabic, Hindi, Thai, Vietnamese, Czech, Polish, Serbo-Croatian, Welsh etc.
Language is the history of a nation. Language is the path, that culture and civilization are going along. Therefore, learning Russian language is ... a vital necessity. / A. Kuprin (1870-1938), Russian writer, explorer and adventurer
DmitryS

Postby Sobekhotep » Sun 21 Feb 2010 12:43 am

DmitryS wrote:Japanese - upper intermediate, currently zero level

Why learn a language only halfway? :?:
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby DmitryS » Sun 21 Feb 2010 10:26 pm

Sobekhotep wrote:
DmitryS wrote:Japanese - upper intermediate, currently zero level

Why learn a language only halfway? :?:

Depends on your purpose of using the language.
You may want to be a translator and work with that language. Or, to discuss business or political or cultural issues at that language.
Or you may just want to travel to that country for a week or two, and you have to discuss with locals only time and place of the next party, or your special wishes for your hotel room.
Learning a language may be time consuming, so you would not want to spend some 900-1100 hours learning a language you are not actually going to use that much.
Language is the history of a nation. Language is the path, that culture and civilization are going along. Therefore, learning Russian language is ... a vital necessity. / A. Kuprin (1870-1938), Russian writer, explorer and adventurer
DmitryS

Postby Dillon Z » Mon 08 Mar 2010 12:42 am

I'm learning Russian right now.
But here's my full list:

-Russian
-German
-Japanese
-Portuguese
-Arabic or Urdu

That list is order from learning first to learning last. Anyone know what Russian is like once you get in the more advanced part? And Arabic or Urdu?
Dillon Z

Postby Talib » Mon 08 Mar 2010 1:54 am

Arabic and Russian are usually considered to be hard languages. Urdu somewhat less so but all of them are fairly alien to the Standard Average European paradigm.

I've studied Arabic for years and have very basic Russian and Urdu.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Babbler » Mon 08 Mar 2010 6:18 am

I'm a native speaker of English, and right now I'm trying to improve my French. I'm not sure what language I would take up next; I am think of either Spanish, Portuguese or German. I might take up Tagalog or another Filipino language, since my mother is from the Philippines (I never learned the language(s)) and she actually teaches one of the languages at a community association.

I wish I could learn several languages at the same time, but I don't think that would be really effective.
Native language: English
Second language: Français

That's it. :(
Babbler

Postby Talib » Mon 08 Mar 2010 6:03 pm

If she's from the Philippines, does she know any Spanish? That's always a good choice.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby linguoboy » Mon 08 Mar 2010 6:18 pm

Talib wrote:If she's from the Philippines, does she know any Spanish? That's always a good choice.

My understand is that Spanish hasn't been mandatory in Philippine schools for a century. If any of the Filipinos I've met know it, it's because they studied it here in the States. For most, the only Spanish they have is their names.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

PreviousNext

Return to Language learning