Llyffws (Leafoosish)

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Llyffws (Leafoosish)

Postby Tikolm » Sun 30 Sep 2012 9:58 pm

adelgado wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:And in fact, a-dy dde llywyll is based on the phrase tu n'as pas de sens "you don't have/make sense", which (I think) is also a valid construction.

I've never heard it used that way. I've heard "Ça n'a pas de sens" and "Tu n'as pas de sens de l'humour/critique/de l'orientation/etc." but not "Tu n'as pas de sens" by itself.

I've heard "faire du sense" as in making sense. Or as in "Ça ne fait aucun de sense". Apparently, it is an anglicism[0], and the 'correct' way would be to say "avoir du sense".

[0] http://66.46.185.79/bdl/gabarit_bdl.asp?id=3499
I see. I thought faire du sens was only a mistake I made! :P

adelgado wrote:EDIT: I'm really sorry, I just realised I replyied something really old in the thread. Nice language, BTW!
It's okay, and thanks! :) (In case you're wondering, a-dy dde llywyll is now an invalid sentence; the correct form would be as ty lywyll <has thee [soft-mutation]+nonsense>.)
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby Tikolm » Wed 26 Dec 2012 5:27 am

Tikolm wrote:as ty lywyll
Or, alternatively, i'ath llywyll afec tei, lit. 'there is nonsense with you'. Now that I study Welsh, the have verb has ended up making so little sense to me that I've already dropped it from Tikolmian; Leafoosish may be the next victim. May end up changing tei etc. to twy on the basis of similar sound changes in French, Welsh and Brithenig. Will see.
Yow, my Welsh is going to leak its way into everything...of course it was supposed to be in Leafoosish to begin with (duh) but the two languages have gotten really really similar. I still don't like have verbs. Oh well. We shall wait and see. Now I also don't seem to like wait/stay and cut/break distinctions, SVO word order (or for that matter V1V2SO), present tense 'to be' sentences without yn in them, have perfects, to be verbs that can't become interrogative, <f> representing /f/ rather than /v/, prepositions that don't conjugate, negatives that can't double, etc. ...it goes on...so maybe it's hopeless.
I've already decided that no equivalent of yn may exist in Leafoosish. That would not work. There is also no interrogative verb business because I have no idea how that would work either short of importing yd, which I'm not about to do. I can't see how to conjugate prepositions and don't know which ones would -- would probably have to know a bit more about Welsh etymologies of some stuff. Negatives kind of have to double, at least in the literary register thingy. <f> is /v/ (and <ff> /f/) still because I can't think of a good enough reason not to do it that way. I still have the now much disliked have perfect, and passive voice is formed with yster or however I spell it now, not some imaginary equivalent of cael.
Wait is atandre and stay is rester (cf. W. aros and T. milos 'wait/stay'). Cut is, well, not attested yet, but I assume it would be *colper; break is casser (cf. W. torri and T. rivos 'cut/break').
------
Even though I've already decided not to conjugate any more $*%& prepositions in @!#^ conlangs, let's try to figure out how one might do it.
We start with a preposition, wrth gwrs -- let's say an 'on'. Then we filch some appropriate sounding verb ends from an unsuspecting, innocent verb, which will proceed to get mad at us and stamp around in the long wet grass...oh, whoops, that was the Irish Jig. :roll: Anyway, now then. We take some verb ends from a verb when it's not at its house, and then it comes to our house, finds a stolen verb end and hits us over the head -- oh nuts, no, that's Taffy getting hit with the marrow bone. Forget that. So as I was saying, we borrow some verb ends from a verb and put them on a preposition, and then we can't use them because the verb has alerted the cops and they're throwing us in .....okay, that's enough, Tikolm. Oy! Ach y fi! We don't take any verb ends. We put some kind of verbish ending thingies on the prepositions. In that case, we get something like this:
anaf
anat
ano
ani
anon
anoch
anyn
which would be fine and lovely if I hadn't gone and used Welsh endings. Ffwy. Let's try to do this better. First we look at a verb, preferably in the present tense (to the extent that L. has one):
cas (sio) - cas (ty) - cas (il/el) - casson (nw) - casses (fw) - cassyn (il/el)
They all pretty much go like that. So we get something like:
an sio
anys ty
anyth il/el
anon nw
anes fw
anyn il/el
But trust me, I'm not going to do this. Kind of how I wasn't going to spell /u/ as <w>, wasn't going to use <y> for schwa, wasn't going to use little roof for a long sign, wasn't going to call circumflexes 'little roof', wasn't going to stop understanding have verbs to the point where I took it out of Tikolmian, wasn't going to try to draw y ddraig goch on the Christmas card this year, wasn't even going to learn Welsh...
...yeah, right. :roll: :o
What an incredibly long post.
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby choc_pud » Thu 27 Dec 2012 4:13 pm

Hmm... That was weird.

:ugeek:

But you've got further than I have on a conlang!
Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg, ydy?
choc_pud

Postby Tikolm » Wed 02 Jan 2013 3:00 am

choc_pud wrote:Hmm... That was weird.
Which part of what? Context, please?
Tikolm

Previous

Return to Conlangery