A new writing system to share

The place to discuss constructed writing systems (con-scripts)
martinluan

A new writing system to share

Postby martinluan » Fri 15 May 2015 12:56 am

Hello, everybody! Great to be here to make friends with similar interest. This writing system is on Omniglot Website already, some of you might have seen it. I just want to re-post here to hear comments from you. I tried the application to many different languages. Here is the version for English first. I used to call it Kogor with previous letter basic arrangement. Now I intend to call it GoRoK or something else with new letter table. The letters remain same.

English_GoRoK V1.0.png
English_GoRoK V1.0.png (72.33 KiB) Viewed 622 times

martinluan

Re: A new writing system to share

Postby martinluan » Sat 23 May 2015 6:53 am

After a bit adjustment, I tried to create a writing system to be the alternative to pinyin for Chinese Mandarin.

It has below features:
1. each word has 3 sections, initial(plus medial if any), tone, rime(nucleus plus coda if any).
2. tone is always part of word, set before the rime, not as additional mark.
3. related word could be connected from bottom.

The table and sample are as attached for your reference.
Chinese May22.png
Chinese May22.png (60.6 KiB) Viewed 541 times

Your comments are welcome! Thanks!

shenafu

Postby shenafu » Mon 01 Jun 2015 9:12 pm

many people misunderstand the purpose of lowercase letters and how to make them good. lowercase is not just smallcaps. it's to help writing letters easier. Good example is Latin, Bad example is Cyrillic.

this particular font style is hard to read. vertical lines too thick.

tone markers may work for few tones. what about languages with 6+ tones?
Native: English, Cantonese
Passable: Mandarin
Learnt: French
Favorite Writing Systems: Chinese, Latin, Japanese, Hangeul, Flownetic
Conscripts: Liyahu, Flownetic

martinluan

Postby martinluan » Tue 02 Jun 2015 9:35 pm

Shenafu,

Thank you very much for the comments! I agree with you the lower case are not only the smaller size of upper case. The evolution is mainly from the handwriting convenience concern. To evaluate a conscript system, two things are very important, input and output. The output is about the reading convenience, the input, the writing. In modern society, with the technology development, people use less handwriting than typing or sound input. I believe a successful conscript should focus more on output than input. (It would be nice if we could balance the two.)

My fonts are actually not that difficult as you said. It is just one type of Print version. It might cause some reading discomfort to some people since most of the strokes are composed of simple lines either horizontal or vertical. However, if you understand the basic font making rules, it is very easy to follow. In adjusted versions, definitely we could add circle, arc, slash etc concepts in as longs as the basic script rules remain. We use the thick strokes here to add some changes and highlight some font features. In my view, it makes reading easier actually. In handwriting, thick strokes could be totally ignored. (I have several versions at hands now.)

The current tones design is only for Standard Mandarin. I don't know much of other language with 6 tones or more. The 5 tones are designed to reflex some tone values instead of simply marking 1-5. It seems diacritical tones are not used consistently somehow so I am thinking of marking pinyin differently in this system. You could find out I still use diacritics in my main conscripts for other languages, English, French, Esperanto etc.

shenafu

Postby shenafu » Sat 06 Jun 2015 6:22 am

For output, simpler letters are easier to read. That's why we still type and print with mainly lowercase letters, as in books, newspapers, and online text. Furthermore, all-caps style is frowned upon unless it's for emphasis, like titles and yelling. If upper and lower case are identical, then there's no point to making a separate set of letters. Many writing systems don't have lowercase and that's fine. But if you do have them, they should make a visible difference. Most importantly, it should make reading easier.

Maybe that particular font style needs some training to read comfortably. In particular, it's hard to differentiate tones 1 and 5. The other tones are fine. Maybe for tone 1, have it extend above the letter and a thin line across the top. (Like the Latin T.) Or since tone 5 is essentially toneless or neutral, you could omit the tone mark altogether.

If you haven't considered additional tones, that's fine. Not all scripts have to be adapted for all languages and universal utility. However, consider the IPA article on tones and the common features of tones across different languages. You might also experiment with tone marks extending to the left as well. That will give you more variables and combinations to play with. For instance, the four Mandarin tones can be denoted as such:

1. Tone 1: Image
  2. Tone 2: Image
  3. Tone 3: Image
  4. Tone 4: Image
Native: English, Cantonese
Passable: Mandarin
Learnt: French
Favorite Writing Systems: Chinese, Latin, Japanese, Hangeul, Flownetic
Conscripts: Liyahu, Flownetic

martinluan

Postby martinluan » Sun 07 Jun 2015 12:52 am

Well thought! It seems you have lot of linguistic knowledge and study. It is one of the main reasons I posted my conscripts here to learn from you! Please understand, I clearly know my conscripts design are far away from professional level. I believe there are some good ideas in them and they might help other friends to improve their design as well.

Your tone marking suggestion is good. Actually I have several versions of them for easy reading, for space saving, or for aesthetic concern etc. The main idea is to use tone marks to be inseparable part of the word and connect the initials and Rime. In the attached file, you will find out the vertical application of the conscripts for Chinese. it takes the similar principles as horizontal style. Again, the thick strokes might be annoying to you but I really think it helps the reading. In handwriting, I don't use thick strokes.

http://imgur.com/c6XYa4r

Return to “Constructed writing systems”