Scripts designed for the Left Hand

The place to discuss alphabets and other writing systems.

Scripts designed for the Left Hand

Postby sokuban » Mon 10 Aug 2009 2:24 pm

So, with International Lefthanders Day coming up, I've been wondering if there were any scripts designed for—or very comfortable when written with the Left Hand.

Maybe not even a script, perhaps some style of cursive of a script that is designed for—or more lefthand friendly than the standard way of writing.

Anyone know of any?

EDIT: Conscripts are fair game.
sokuban

Re: Scripts designed for the Left Hand

Postby Declan » Mon 10 Aug 2009 4:56 pm

Could it be argued that something written from right to left (take your pick), is more suitable than something written from left to right?
Native: English
Very good: Irish
Reasonable: German, French
Very basic: Latin.
Declan

Postby Anders » Mon 10 Aug 2009 5:07 pm

Declan wrote:Could it be argued that something written from right to left (take your pick), is more suitable than something written from left to right?

Yes, lefthanders drag their hand in what they write. When we had esseywriting in school the lefthanders were black on the side of their hand. The text got smeared out on the paper to some extent. And you can not see what you just wrote because the text dissapers under the hand. Righthanders don't have these problems. Since most are righthanders it is best to write from left to right. But leftists should be better off if it was from right to left.
Anders

Postby linguoboy » Mon 10 Aug 2009 5:15 pm

Anders wrote:Yes, lefthanders drag their hand in what they write. When we had esseywriting in school the lefthanders were black on the side of their hand. The text got smeared out on the paper to some extent. And you can not see what you just wrote because the text dissapers under the hand. Righthanders don't have these problems. Since most are righthanders it is best to write from left to right. But leftists should be better off if it was from right to left.

This isn't true of all lefthanders. Many end up crooking their hands around to avoid obscuring the text and smearing the ink, particularly if the teachers who taught them writing were ignorant of how to adapt their lessons for lefthanders. (Mine, for instance, simply told us to "do the same thing in reverse" without demonstrating or going into any detail. Fortunately, I have very good spatial perception, so flipping the images wasn't that difficult for me, but a lot of lefthanders are not so fortunate.)
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Aeetlrcreejl » Mon 10 Aug 2009 11:37 pm

Gregg Shorthand is sometimes written right-to-left by left-handed people. I use this version in my notes.
Aeetlrcreejl

Postby sokuban » Tue 11 Aug 2009 3:26 am

Declan wrote:Could it be argued that something written from right to left (take your pick), is more suitable than something written from left to right?

Thats what I thought at first, but you'd be surprised to find out that isn't always the case.

It looks like Arabic is not very lefthand friendly. (But I don't know Arabic, so this is just a perception.)
Vertical Chinese (right to left in a sense) is also probably the worst script for lefthanders.
sokuban

Postby dtp883 » Tue 11 Aug 2009 3:34 am

How many people here are left handers? It seems like many.
Native: English (NW American)
Advanced: Spanish
Intermediate: French
Beginning: Arabic (MSA/Egyptian)
Some day: German
dtp883

Postby linguoboy » Tue 11 Aug 2009 4:22 am

sokuban wrote:Vertical Chinese (right to left in a sense) is also probably the worst script for lefthanders.

What makes you say that? Moreover, traditional Chinese is written with a brush, so righties have to keep their hands from resting on the page as well as lefties.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Talib » Tue 11 Aug 2009 7:39 am

sokuban wrote:It looks like Arabic is not very lefthand friendly. (But I don't know Arabic, so this is just a perception.
I disagree. My brother is left-handed and he thinks it's great.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Caenwyr » Tue 11 Aug 2009 8:05 am

I'm a lefthander myself, and I strongly agree: right-to-left scripts are way easier to write (and especially write beautifully) than left-to-right ones. You should see my handwriting :lol:
Native: Dutch
Fluent: English, French
Learning: Swedish (when I have the time and the energy)
Creating: Arain
Caenwyr

Next

Return to Writing systems