Some thoughts on Chinese.

The place to discuss learning languages
Yaziq

Some thoughts on Chinese.

Postby Yaziq » Thu 09 Oct 2014 6:04 pm

I recently saw something I thought I would never see. That is, Cantonese written in simplified characters. However, that was only on one website. Cantonese is mostly written in traditional characters. My impression is that the overseas Chinese community uses traditional characters, but that may be changing. In the Chinese section of a public library in Maryland I saw a mixture of books in the two writing systems. When learning Mandarin which system would you study?

gaerteuth

Re: Some thoughts on Chinese.

Postby gaerteuth » Fri 24 Oct 2014 1:13 pm

More information in less strokes = more efficient writing system IMO.

If it takes 24 strokes of the brush or pen to write the word "Idiot", you should consider switching over Pinyin, which can write the same word "Báichī" in 13 strokes. Effectively half.

But we all know that it will never happen in China as it's too difficult to introduce a population of 1 billion to an entirely alien process of encoding and decoding information into and from arrangements of basic phonetic letters, rather than recognizing morphemes by analyzing logographs.

martinluan

Re: Some thoughts on Chinese.

Postby martinluan » Fri 12 Jun 2015 1:15 am

gaerteuth wrote:More information in less strokes = more efficient writing system IMO.

If it takes 24 strokes of the brush or pen to write the word "Idiot", you should consider switching over Pinyin, which can write the same word "Báichī" in 13 strokes. Effectively half.

But we all know that it will never happen in China as it's too difficult to introduce a population of 1 billion to an entirely alien process of encoding and decoding information into and from arrangements of basic phonetic letters, rather than recognizing morphemes by analyzing logographs.

I think you are confused with the input and output in a writing system. Ask any Japanese or Chinese, if a pure Kana system or pinyin is easier to read than the mix of Kana and Kanji or Hanzi. As per the input method, there are more new methods which are much faster than the traditional handwriting way.

Return to “Language learning”