How do your languages express the following?...

The place to use Languages other than English (LOTE) to discuss whatever you like.

Re: How do your languages express the following?...

Postby Neqitan » Sat 22 May 2010 12:10 am

dtp883 wrote:Just to make sure I understand, I'll use a shortened version of your example.

Pensé en darle un regalo antes de irme. (I thought about giving him a gift beforeI left.

Pensé en darle un regalo antes de que se fuera. (I thought about giving him a gift before he left.
Yup, they're perfect. I'd like to tell you other items that behave like this one, but I don't know them off the top of my head. :/

Postby linguoboy » Sat 22 May 2010 5:05 am

Talib wrote:You aren't a native of Pittsburgh, are you?

So what? I told you the construction is characteristic of Pittsburghese but it's not restricted to it.

But wherever you're from they must be deadly literalists.

I know, we're so simple-minded out here in the Midwest. When someone says "Seriously, Pittsburghese sounds infantile", I take it to mean they seriously think Pittsburghese sounds infantile. Must have something to do with conversational maxims or something...

Postby sokuban » Fri 02 Jul 2010 4:16 am

I'll do this in... sokuban Japanese. I by no means am fluent in Japanese, and this is all the output that my brain will compute. I am also very liberal in my translations. (FAKE EDIT: Or maybe not as much as I hoped; this is really hard.)

In support of the previous offtopic discussion, I am doing this in a nonstandard dialect. (FAKE EDIT: I tried.)

1. (just) - I just came home from a party.
2. (got) - I got a present from a friend. I got bitten by a snake.
3. (verbs) - what happens to verbs when placed with pronouns and different tenses?*
I guess this question is about inflection?
tense: inflected verbs; I'm too lazy to go over it all
voice: passive often has a negative connotation
person: no effect on verb, though social norms especially in formal speech employ different verbs or different forms of verbs for the speaker and the speakee.
case: shown on the noun
4. (past perfect) - I had called him three times before he picked up (the phone).
5. (present continuous) - I am eating a delicious chocolate cake.
6. (future perfect) - I will have seen the movie at the cinema.
Hard to translate, but normally you'd have the future time (eg: "tomorrow") and then the normal perfect past. "darou" or "deshou" which are "unpredictable" sentence endings may also be used.
7. (word order) - is your language SVO/SOV/OSV/OVS?*
SOV, though since there are case markers word order is flexible.
8. By the time I get to the beach, the sun will have set and I will have wasted my time driving there.
9. Although I am a vegetarian, the smell of meat makes my mouth water.
10. Woman, without her, man is nothing...Woman without her man, is nothing.
Hmm, that was strange. How would you say "her man" in Japanese? I translated it into 女が男, but I don't think it works that way (think ga from like 汝が剣), and when I write it like that the ga looks like a subject marker particle instead.

Wow, this was horrible. x_x

Postby Elijah » Tue 14 Feb 2012 11:58 pm

This seems to be 2 threads interweaving each other by now.

But honestly, my mother says "needs corrected', and I grew up with it. If people with Masters degrees say it, then it's not in any way infantile.
Native: American English
Learning: Mandarin, Burmese, Japanese
Want to learn: Cantonese, ASL, Basque?

Return to “Languages other than English”