The Shavian alphabet for Esperanto

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.
word24image

The Shavian alphabet for Esperanto

Postby word24image » Mon 09 Mar 2015 1:06 am

I am a big fan of the version of the Shavian alphabet used for Esperanto. My level of interest went up when I found out that holding two versions of words or letter in one's mind ("mano" and "hand," for example) can help protect one from dementia for up to five years! But apart from that advantage, I enjoy using the Shavian alphabet and I am finding some people with whom to correspond in it. Although the Shavian alphabet was a complete non-starter in English (its target language), I hope to make it known as an enjoyable alternative alphabet for Esperanto. Comments are welcome. If you want to contact me directly, you can e-mail me at ejfelker@dslextreme.com. Note: the key words here are "enjoyable" and "alternative"; I do not want to replace the Latin-based alphabet used for Esperanto.

Napishtim

Re: The Shavian alphabet for Esperanto

Postby Napishtim » Fri 27 Mar 2015 11:43 am

Where can we see this alphabet? I couldn't find it in the conscripts of Omniglot... Thanks !
Conlangs: Laramin, Hylian. Conscripts: Alfuni, PhonoBraille, KoreoViet, etc. :roll:

martinluan

Postby martinluan » Fri 12 Jun 2015 1:00 am

Personally I don't enjoy Shavian alphabet. It does not help to emphasis language features much. Its oversimplied shapes sometimes add more discomfort in reading. It is designed before the internet time to make input (writing) easier. If you want to find out good conscripts match for Esperanto, I think we should find out what Esperanto features could be highlighted from them. Otherwise, I don't see and advantage from it.

Napishtim

Postby Napishtim » Fri 12 Jun 2015 4:22 am

It's true that the look is not very dynamic, although there is some good logic behind :

Maybe because the overall phonetic scope is too broad, and using only part of it for Esperanto decreases the relevance of the design choices.

PS: For reference
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shavian_alphabet
- http://www.omniglot.com/writing/shavian.htm
Conlangs: Laramin, Hylian. Conscripts: Alfuni, PhonoBraille, KoreoViet, etc. :roll:

telal

Postby telal » Sun 09 Aug 2015 12:07 am

Napishtim wrote:Maybe because the overall phonetic scope is too broad...

but thats the whole point of shavian
לא משנה

choc_pud

Postby choc_pud » Wed 12 Aug 2015 6:13 pm

telal wrote:
Napishtim wrote:Maybe because the overall phonetic scope is too broad...

but thats the whole point of shavian

Indeed, but don't forget it was intended for English, which has far more phonemes than Esperanto. If one takes only certain phonemic symbols from the Shavian Alphabet and uses them to write a language other than English, one loses the precise correspondence between the phonemes which led to it being such a usefully phonemic writing system.
Þu forstanden myccel gód Ængliscum!
Du forstår mal godt dansk!
Du verstehest sehr gut Deutsch!
Vous comprend trés bon, á la français!
Вы знат очынь хорошо па-Русский!
Folchen þeo meor goð Sursðk!
Du farstanden rijt gut Norslandich!

telal

Postby telal » Thu 13 Aug 2015 1:58 pm

choc_pud wrote:one loses the precise correspondence between the phonemes

no one doesnt

shavian works for esperanto just like it works for many other scripts...nothing is lost
לא משנה

Return to “Conlangery”