How hard can it be to actually finish a conlang???

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.
IXBlackWolfXI

How hard can it be to actually finish a conlang???

Postby IXBlackWolfXI » Mon 24 Oct 2016 10:31 pm

I've been trying to make a conlang for almost 10 years now, and even today, I don't have anything to show for it. I've never developed a conlang far enough to make one single sentence in a language of my own creation. Most of my 'conlangs' are just phonologies, sometimes with bits of grammar or design ideas (like making an inflecting language, or a creole-like language, etc...)

Every time I think I've gotten an idea I think I'll stick with, I end up abandoning it. It used to be when I got sick of how the language sounded. Now, its just when I seem to have to create a whole paragraph of rules for each and every possible sentence. I don't know if its because I'm inept and keep trying weird things, or its just because languages are so complex I can't possibly hope to make any progress in one.

I mean, seriously, Zamenhof made a conlang of his own in just what, 3 or 4 years???? I've been at this for nearly 10, and I still have NOTHING to show for it besides folders upon folders of word documents, some dating back to 2007.

I want one of my own, but I honestly I don't have any faith that I will ever succeed. Why does this have to be so fucking hard??? Yeah, I know languages are complex, I've studied linguistics for years now, but its like no matter what I do, I have to write a fucking book just to explain how to say one sentence!!!!

Return to “Conlangery”