Finally back on track, and needing confirmation

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Finally back on track, and needing confirmation

Postby Great Angemon » Wed 12 Nov 2014 7:57 pm

Alright, so, I finally have a base that I'm proud of for my conlang (not to mention that it's taken me several failed attempts and lots of wasted paper), and I wanted to know if it makes sense as a grammar.

Sounds: v, s, sh, n, l, t, k, a, e, o

Stress is placed on the first syllable of a word when k or sh is the first sound of the word; otherwise, the stress is on the last syllable.

Words are formed by forming syllables with a vowel and one or two consonants. Consonants cannot follow consonants, and vowels cannot follow vowels. The first vowel must be an a, excepting prefixes.

s becomes sh when at the beginning of a word, or when used in a prefix, though it is still written as s.

Prefixes are used to denote tense. Suffixes are used to denote pluralization and case, and to turn nouns into verbs.

Word order is OSV.

If there is a doubled consonantal or vowel sound due to an affix, the sound from the affix becomes silent, though it is still written.

Any and all help would be very much appreciated
Great Angemon

Re: Finally back on track, and needing confirmation

Postby Khunjund » Mon 17 Nov 2014 4:04 am

First of all, your using the term “sounds” and referring to “sh” as one makes me wonder: have you looked up phonetics and phonology a bit? If not, you would really benefit from doing so. Additionally, having “v” instead of “f” when all your other consonants are voiceless (except for sonorants) is a little odd at best. (Having “f” [or “v”] and not “p” is somewhat unorthodox as well, but less so.)

Second, stress rules can depend on quantity of consonants (for example, stress on last syllable unless it’s preceded by two or more consonants), but not type of consonants (or rather, its not very naturalistic).

Third, is there a reason to limit the first vowel of a root to “a”?

Fourth, unless there is an etymological reason to spell initial “sh” as “s”, you shouldn’t do so. If this language descends from another one and over its evolution initial “s” become “sh”, go for it, but if it doesn’t, just make a rule that “s” can’t occur word-initially and replace it with “sh”.

Fifth, there’s no problem with using a mix of suffixes and prefixes, but the real question here is if your language is agglutinative (you just chain affixes one after the other) or fusional (each affix has a meaning encoding a specific number, case, etc.).

Sixth, again, unless there is an etymological reason, it’s not a good idea to write silent consonants. A tip: make all your prefixes end with a vowel and all your suffixes start with a vowel, and have an epenthetic consonant (like “n”) separate two vowels (for example, the prefix “a-” becomes “an-” before a vowel and the suffix “-eso” becomes “-neso” after a vowel. Or, have all prefixes end, and all suffixes start, with a consonant, and have an epenthetic vowel (like “e”) separate two consonants, or have both an epenthetic vowel and a consonant and don’t put restrictions on your affixes.
Native: français.
Fluent: English.
Learning: Deutsch, 日本語, العربية, Ἡ Ἑλληνικὴ φωνή.
Interested in: 한국어, русский, polski, Brezhoneg, 漢語, suomi, isiXhosa, Gaeilge, עברית.
Khunjund

Return to Conlangery