Have you ever traveled to another country?

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

Have you ever traveled to another country?

Yes, I actually have lived in more than one country
37%
Yes, I live near the border, so I go often
7%
Yes, I've been to another country at least once
47%
No, but I've always wanted to go
9%
No, and I'm happy where I am now
No votes

Total votes : 43

Re: Have you ever traveled to another country?

Postby Sobekhotep » Sat 25 Apr 2009 10:34 pm

Svip wrote:I find it difficult to believe many haven't travelled to several countries around these parts.

A lot of people simply can't afford it, probably, especially now with the terrible economy (not sure how Denmark's doing).

kaenif wrote:I've been to Japan

sokuban wrote:I've gone on an exchange for Japan

Irra, I want to go there! :(
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Jayan » Sat 25 Apr 2009 11:24 pm

Sobekhotep wrote:A lot of people simply can't afford it, probably, especially now with the terrible economy (not sure how Denmark's doing).

I know! Just as my family was getting geared up for a trip through Europe! Bad timing... :(
Native/Fluent: English (on a good day :P)
Pursuing fluency: Dansk
Entertaining self with: 日本語
Up next: русский язык
Eventually: Gaeilge|Deutsch|Kiswahili|Suomi
Jayan

Postby Stosis » Sun 26 Apr 2009 6:14 am

I've been to the USA numerous times. I also went to Germany for a month once to learn the language.
Stosis

Postby panduram » Sun 26 Apr 2009 10:23 am

Okay here we go: Born and live in the Netherlands. Also lived and worked in India and Yemen Arab replubic. Visited (in chronological order): Germany, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Switserland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Sweden, DDR (former), Poland, UK, Italy, Yugoslavia (former) so: Slovenia, Croatia, Bosna-Herzegovina; Denmark, Finland, Norway, Andorra, Spain, Morocco, Portugal, Czechoslowakia (former) now: Czech rep. and Slowakia, Hungary, Rumania, Serbia, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City (that is indeed an independent state), Surinam, French Guyana (which actually is France), Egypt, U.S.A., Martinique (= France), Singapore, Indonesia, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, Greece and Turkey.
panduram

Postby Jayan » Sun 26 Apr 2009 7:08 pm

panduram wrote:Okay here we go: Born and live in the Netherlands. Also lived and worked in India and Yemen Arab replubic. Visited (in chronological order): Germany, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Switserland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Sweden, DDR (former), Poland, UK, Italy, Yugoslavia (former) so: Slovenia, Croatia, Bosna-Herzegovina; Denmark, Finland, Norway, Andorra, Spain, Morocco, Portugal, Czechoslowakia (former) now: Czech rep. and Slowakia, Hungary, Rumania, Serbia, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City (that is indeed an independent state), Surinam, French Guyana (which actually is France), Egypt, U.S.A., Martinique (= France), Singapore, Indonesia, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, Greece and Turkey.

I am soooooooo jealous of you! ;) :x :P
Native/Fluent: English (on a good day :P)
Pursuing fluency: Dansk
Entertaining self with: 日本語
Up next: русский язык
Eventually: Gaeilge|Deutsch|Kiswahili|Suomi
Jayan

Postby Sean of the Dead » Mon 27 Apr 2009 3:59 am

I've been to Vancouver and Victoria, Canada and the western 2 of states in the USA. :'(
Sean of the Dead

Postby Neqitan » Mon 27 Apr 2009 5:03 am

I've only been around Central America (except Belize and Panama) and of course, Greater Vancouver.
Neqitan

Postby Caenwyr » Mon 27 Apr 2009 9:18 am

I'm a Belgian, and since Belgium has about the size of a handkerchief one really has to go out of one's way NOT to cross a border. Holland is about 7 miles away, France about 50, Germany no more than 90 and Luxemburg just a bit over a 100 miles.

Apart from those countries I've been to Switzerland, the UK, Austria, Czechia, Poland, Slovenia, Italy, Greece and Turkey.

That seems much, but if I had been living in central USA (say Nebraska), even the most distant trip (Turkey) would have taken me no further than Florida. Apart from Turkey I haven't even been out of Europe! Which is kinda sad if you ask me. But! This summer I'll be going to Morocco for a few weeks, working with the locals. Which wil add another continent to my list and force me learn quite a lot about the local berber dialect in a very short time. That makes up for the relative short trips I've made during my life, doesn't it?

Caeno
Native: Dutch
Fluent: English, French
Learning: Swedish (when I have the time and the energy)
Creating: Arain
Caenwyr

Postby Sobekhotep » Mon 27 Apr 2009 10:21 pm

panduram wrote:DDR

I had to look that one up. When I (and probably many others) see those 3 initials I immediately think of Dance Dance Revolution. :D

Caenwyr wrote:Holland is about 7 miles away

It really irks me when people call it "Holland" instead of "the Netherlands". :twisted:
ለሐዘበ ፡ ዘየደአ
Sobekhotep

Postby Neqitan » Mon 27 Apr 2009 10:58 pm

Sobekhotep wrote:
Caenwyr wrote:Holland is about 7 miles away

It really irks me when people call it "Holland" instead of "the Netherlands". :twisted:

The opposite applies to me: students of Spanish (and sometimes heritage speakers) seem to try to translate English "the Netherlands" to something like Neerlandia or similar, which is utterly wrong (it's either Holanda or Países Bajos (the latter a calque from "Netherlands")).
Neqitan

PreviousNext

Return to General chat