Books which provide advice and tips on how to learn languages, and how to overcome common problems faced by language learners, such as lack of time, motivation, fear of making mistakes, and so on.
by Gabriel Wyner
The greatest challenge to learning a foreign language is the challenge of memory; there are just too many words and too many rules. For every new word we learn, we seem to forget two old ones, and as a result, fluency can seem out of reach. Fluent Forever tackles this challenge head-on. With empathy for the language-challenged and abundant humor, Wyner deconstructs the learning process, revealing how to build a foreign language in your mind from the ground up.
Starting with pronunciation, you'll learn how to rewire your ears and turn foreign sounds into familiar sounds. You'll retrain your tongue to produce those sounds accurately, using tricks from opera singers and actors. Next, you'll begin to tackle words, and connect sounds and spellings to imagery, rather than translations, which will enable you to think in a foreign language. And with the help of sophisticated spaced-repetition techniques, you'll be able to memorize hundreds of words a month in minutes every day. Soon, you'll gain the ability to learn grammar and more difficult abstract words - without the tedious drills and exercises of language classes and grammar books.
by Kerstin Hammes
- introduces the reader to one of the secrets of long-term success in language learning: the balance of core learning skills: listening, reading, speaking and writing. Written by a language tutor who has experienced her fair share of language learning successes and frustrations, Fluency Made Achievable will inspire readers to try out new types of exercises with fresh motivation. The exercise suggestions are divided into the categories of listening, reading, speaking and writing to make it easy for learners to go straight to practicing core skills in a targeted way.
This entertaining book is guaranteed to help every independent language learner and language tutor evaluate their progress so far, and with the handy 3-week Study Plan this book can make a difference to your learning routines in less than a month.
by Benny Lewis
- Benny Lewis, who has been travelling the world and learning languages since 2003, runs the language learning blog, Fluent In 3 Months, and devotes his time to finding better, faster, and more efficient ways to learn languages. This book is a collection of advice and tips for how to learn any language quickly, and debunks a number of long-held beliefs, such as adults not being as good of language learners as children. Many of the tips have appeared on his blog, and additional advice and resources are available there for readers of this book.
by Rick Dearman
- shows you how to create your own immersion environment; use time management techniques to find the time for study; to get free or low cost learning materials; use modern motivation techniques to keep you going went you're struggling; use grammar to add rocket fuel to your learning, and to develop effective learning habits.
by Susanna Zaraysky
- focuses on making learning foreign languages fun, easy and affordable through watching TV, listening to music, going to cultural events and other enjoyable activities. Also includes suggestions of many online resources you can use to help you learn languages.
by Patsy M. Lightbrown & Nina Spada
- a thorough and interesting introduction to language acquisition which discusses the main theories about how languages are learned and their implications for language teaching.
by Amorey Gethin & Erik V. Gunnemark
by Gill James
- in this book the author describes the language learning methods she has discovered after many years of teaching adults and children, of seeing others learn her language and of observing her own language learning process.
by Edward Trimnell
- explains why it's important to learn foreign languages and gives some tips on how to go about this.
by Barry M. Farber
- if you're considering learning language and are not sure where or how to start, this book will help point you in the right direction. It's full of practical tips on how to study and includes a brief introduction to some of the world's major languages.
by Arthur H., Jr. Charles
- tips of learning languages aimed primarily at high school students.
by A.G. Hawke
- explains how to pick a basic knowledge of foreign language in a hurry.
None of the items listed in this bookstore are supplied by Omniglot. When you click on the links here you will be taken to other websites where you can buy the items. If you have any questions about your orders or purchases, please contact the relevant company, not Omniglot.
Learn Chinese Characters with the Omniglot Chinese app |
Language Jobs at Jobseeker.co.uk
Hosted by Kualo