Colour words in Afrikaans
Words for colours in Afrikaans and some colour-related expressions.
swart - black
- politically charged word during the apartheid era, euphemistically changed to
"nie-blankes" (non white) when referring to people.
wit - blank, wit, blanke (person)
rooi - red
- die rooidag kom uit: "day break" and roinekke: negative slang term for new Europeans in SA,
lit "red necks" (overdone suntans!) and sometimes for all Englih speakers by Afrikaans speakers.
geel - yellow
blou - blue
- Usually the bright sky blue of the Transvaal sky, other blues would be modified
groen - green
bruin, donker - brown
pienk, ligrooi - pink
oranje - orange
- as in Oranje-Vrystaat; although an orange (the fruit) is called a "lemoen", and a lemon (fruit)
is called a "suurlemoen"; Oranje used to refer to someone from the Orange Free State, or from
Bloemfontein in particular, or sometimes as negative slang by English speakers for Afrikaners
grys, vergrys - grey
purper - purple
- pimpelpaars ('as purple as a pimple') = very purple.
If you need to type in many different languages, the Q International Keyboard can help. It enables you to type almost any language that uses the Latin, Cyrillic or Greek alphabets, and is free.
If you like this site and find it useful, you can support it by making a donation, or by contributing in other ways. Omniglot is how I make my living.