Objazd / Diversion

Polish sign in Cheshire, UK

Where might you see a sign like the one on the right?

The answer, according to an article I found last week, is in Cheshire, England. The sign reads “DIVERSION A49 for Whitchurch and nearby places” and was erected by the Cheshire County Council, who claim that it is needed due to the large numbers of Polish people in the area.

The local police have received many complaints about Polish drivers getting lost and disrupting traffic, and the council believe the signs are a practical measure to improve road safety. Other people complain that the signs are a case of the council “pandering to political correctness”, and the local MP is quoted as saying that the signs are “It’s absolutely bonkers”.

8 thoughts on “Objazd / Diversion

  1. That is so weird. “Oh, never mind putting up road and street signs for indigenous minorities and nationalities let’s just get contractors to put up signs in the language of recently-arrived immigrants”. Is Punjabi next?

    I wouldn’t be surprised if the next development in the story is UK drivers crashing because the signs are a distraction.

  2. Slightly off-topic: is “Diversion” what you typically say over there for “Detour” or for “Exit”?

    See, NOW you need signs for American drivers as well.

    Of course, THAT would mean a lot of diagrams explaining how to go through a traffic circle while driving on the left side of the road. Oh, excuse me…roundabout. 😉

  3. Hi Siomon,

    I wonder whether it would be common for foreigners in Japan
    to drive cars according to Japanese traffic rules.
    I’m not sure how strict to get permission fir driving cars in Japan.

    I think basically traffic rules in Japan are more strict than
    that of Western.
    For example, where to park cars, the way we can drive vehicles,
    and so on.
    I’ve seldom seen non-Japanese people driving cars in Japan.
    Have you heard of that?


  4. Not that I’m a racist ir anything; but they’re in England. So I guess it’s logical to learn English?!

  5. They need to learn English. Full stop. They don´t need to do a Joseph Conrad, but if they can´t cope with basic functions they shouldn´t be allowed in. (My Grandfather came to the UK from Poland after the war and I now live in a Spanish speaking country so I am not Outraged of Tunbridge Wells). If you are not prepared to learn even essential stuff, then you don´t have any commitment to living in your new country.

Comments are closed.