Here’s a piece of calligraphy sent in by a visitor to Omniglot who would like to know what it means.

Tibetan Calligraphy

Close-up of the red writing:

Tibetan Calligraphy

It appears to be a form of Tibetan calligraphy, possibly the Drucha style.

4 thoughts on “Puzzle

  1. Definitely Tibetan, probably Ume or Drutsa, (not Nirichaen though yes there is a similarity). The large brown text might say zho.ba (a name?) though I’m just matching with a book.

    The red seems to read:
    mgo gcig sha yo bzhin
    zhvam gcig sha yo

    I don’t know any Tibetan but playing around with the dictionary I’m guessing it’s something to do with cows.

    The only person I know who reads and writes this script is Tashi Mannox @ http://www.tashimannox.com/

  2. The answer, from Language Log, is:

    The script is the “headless” cursive style of Tibetan. The large word says zhwa mo “hat”, and the accompanying text translates as something like “whoever has a head has a hat”. Tibetan text below:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.