In Swedish one word for a meeting is ett sammenträde. I wondered about the origins of this word, so thought I would investigate.
Sammenträde comes from sammanträda (to meet, to hold a meeting, to convene), which comes from sammen (together) and träda (to tread, walk, step). So when you have a meeting in Swedish, you are “treading together”.
Sammenträde also means session, conclave or assembly. Related expressions include:
– sammanträda igen = to reconvene
– sammanträde som försiggår i plenum – plenary session
– regeringssammanträde – cabinet meeting
Other Swedish words for meeting include:
– möte = meeting, assembly, conference, convocation, encounter, engagement, rally, meet
– konferens = meeting, conference, consultation, school meeting
– samling = array, gathering, meeting, accumulation, aggregate, assembling, assembly, battery, body, bunch, circus, cluster, coalition, collection, crowd, cumulation, garner, huddle, lot, meet, pack, corpus
– sammenkomst = assembly, gathering, gettogether, meeting, conference, session (“arrive together”)
– församling = assembly, parish, cure, flock, township, meeting, congregation, diet
Are there interesting words for meeting in other languages?