Double dutch and lost dragons
I’ve been playing with Xtranormal today and have made a couple of new films:
Double Dutch (in Dutch and English)
Where’s my dragon? (In Mandarin and English)
When you use Mandarin the system refuses to accept some of the characters you type in, including some common ones like 谢 (thanks). I tried substituting pinyin for the problematic characters, but found that this only works in some cases. Then I came up with the idea of substituting other characters with the same sounds, and it works well. For example 谢谢 becomes 泄泄 (泄 [xiè = to leak) and 话 (huà) – language, becomes 画 (huà) – picture. It’s not ideal, but it works and I’ve learnt some new characters, or re-learnt ones I should already know.
If I can work out how to add subtitles, I might do so, but it should be possible to work out most of the non-English bits from the English bits.
I’ve also posted these films on YouTube.