by Ralph Fasold and Jeffrey Connor-Linton
- a good overview of linguistics which introduces such areas as phonetics, phonology, morphology, grammar, syntax, semantics, pragramatics, discourse analysis, language acquisition, language and the brain, language change, dialect variation, language and culture, the politics of language, writing, and computational linguistics.
by Vyvyan Evans
Language is central to our lives, the cultural tool that arguably sets us apart from other species. Some scientists have argued that language is innate, a type of unique human 'instinct' pre-programmed in us from birth. In this book, Vyvyan Evans argues that this received wisdom is, in fact, a myth. Debunking the notion of a language 'instinct', Evans demonstrates that language is related to other animal forms of communication; that languages exhibit staggering diversity; that we learn our mother tongue drawing on general properties and abilities of the human mind, rather than an inborn 'universal' grammar; that language is not autonomous but is closely related to other aspects of our mental lives; and that, ultimately, language and the mind reflect and draw upon the way we interact with others in the world.
by Jean Aitchinson
- an accessible introduction to psycholinguistics which explores such questions as why language is restricted to humans, whether there is biological evidence for innate language activity, how children learn language, and how we understand, plan and produce language.
by Peter Trudgill
- a good introduction to sociolinguisitics for non-specialists.
by Suzanne Romaine
- a clear, lively, and accessible introduction to the field of sociolinguistics, emphasizing the constant interaction between society and language.
by Marina Yaguello
- an entertaining but rigorous introduction to language and linguistics for non-specialists and students alike. The author shows that we can come to an understanding of language in general and of particular languages through exploring the devices of humour, word-games, and poetry.
[ other sections ]
None of the items listed in this bookstore are supplied by Omniglot. When you click on the links here you will be taken to other websites where you can buy the items. If you have any questions about your orders or purchases, please contact the relevant company, not Omniglot.
Why not share this page:
Note: all links on this site to Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr are affiliate links. This means I earn a commission if you click on any of them and buy something. So by clicking on these links you can help to support this site.
If you're looking for home or car insurance in the UK, why not try Policy Expert?