Can you identify the language, and do you know where it’s spoken?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized.

1. wzhkevin says:

I don’t recognise it, but if i were to make a wild guess i’d say it was a Tibeto-Burman language.

hmmm sounds African to me … well, I’m not expert in wide varieties though.

3. José says:

No idea… I would say Northeastern Africa.

4. Chris Miller says:

Perhaps an American Indian language of central or South America? I think — though of course I could be completely wrong here — I hear [tasko] near the beginning, which sounds like ‘Taxco’ to me, and [kasa] a couple of times near the end, which might possibly be a borrowing of Spanish ‘casa’. I’ll toss out a (not quite) wild guess here, and suggest a Mixtec language.

Here’s a clue: this language is spoken in East Asia.

6. Drabkikker says:

Yeah, I’m with Chris on this. A nice number of q‘s and initial ng‘s, as far as I can make out. I also seem to hear something like “autocar” a few times, but that might be paraudiolia.

7. Drabkikker says:

@ Simon: Haha! Okay, forget what I said.

Hmm. Based on this new information, I must disbelieve my ears and assume this is not an American Indian language of central or South America… I shall have to ruminate a bit before I come up with another guess.

Pale Kermit ;-) – I like your “paraudiolia”. I don’t know if it exists as a recognized equivalent of “pareidolia” but the parallel term is a nice one!

9. Rauli says:

I have no idea about the language, I just want to comment on the word paraudiolia. Personally, I dislike words that are formed partly from Latin, partly form Greek, but this doesn’t mean Drabkikker shouldn’t use it. It’s a fun word. There exists the (all Greek) word paracusia, which means either a deficiency in hearing, or an auditory hallucination. Pareidolia itself can refer to all senses, not just seeing, even though it consists of the Greek word for ‘image’.

10. Drabkikker says:

@ Chris, Rauli,
    Gheh, yeah I know, I just made it up on the spot. I guess I’ll watch some teleblepsis now.

Another clue: this is a Formosan language.

12. Chris Miller says:

Well, the Formosan language I’ve heard about the most is Seediq. Then there’s also Tsou… but I have no way of guessing whether it’s one of these or yet another one.

The answer is Atayal, a Formosan language spoken in parts of Taiwan by about 84,000 people. It has two main dialects: Squliq and C’uli’/Ts’ole and I’m not sure which of those this is.

The recording comes from the Global Recordings Network.

14. jockovic says:

I have no idea but if I would have to guess, I think it might be from South Africa or maybe East Asia??