Can you identify the language, and do you know where it’s spoken?

1. Daydreamer says:

It sounds like a Dravidian language to my ears, maybe Kannada.

2. David Eger says:

I know the answer, but only because my brother-in-law, who is a native speaker of this very language, happens to be in the room!

It is a Dravidian language, but not Kannada.

3. Matt says:

Malayalam, as primarily spoken in Kerala, India?

It sounds very much like Tamil, except for the final /u/ sounds, which in the Tamil I’ve heard aren’t rounded. (Not that I consider myself an expert on Tamil phonology.) I’ll join Matt in guessing this is Malayalam.

5. jimutavahana says:

This sounds like Telugu

6. Esther Brown says:

Here’s an optional guess of mine: either Badaga, Kodava, or Tulu, which are also Dravidian languages.

7. Roger Bowden says:

I also guess a Dravidian language but can get no closer.At first thought I heard the words infilada and tambien but just the desperate wish to unscramble . Also heard Yesus Christu and day one.

8. Christopher says:

Based on the “Indian” but not Hindi sound, and the reference to Jesus Christ, I’m going to go with Malayalam. Because all Malayalam-speakers I know are Christian. Not scientific, but the best I can do!

9. David Eger says:

I am confident enough in my brother-in-law’s ability to recognise his mother tongue, to say that jimutavahana is right – It’s Telugu. But Simon still gets the last word.

It’s a pretty major language, as minority languages go, spoken by more people than the total population of the UK (76,000,000 speakers). But I suppose that’s still a small minority in Indian terms.

The answer is indeed Telugu (తెలుగు), a Dravidian language spoken mainly in the southern Indian state of Andhra Pradesh.

The recording comes from the GRN (16. The Prodigal Son).

11. David Eger says:

“It sounds like the guy in the recording is speaking very quickly. Or is that just how Telugu sounds?”

That’s much like how my brother-in-law sounds when he’s on the phone to his relatives in Hyderabad. Some languages just sound fast.

12. jimutavahana says:

This was far too easy Simon:) Telugu is a major language in India and anybody with satellite television would have figured this out. And the guy is not really speaking quickly- its probably how Telugu sounds to a non -Indian audience

13. Matt says:

Huh. The main reason why I didn’t choose Telugu was because it seemed to be about twice as slow as this recording! I couldn’t believe my ears when I heart this recording. I didn’t know a tongue could be so quick!

14. Vijay John says:

While I agree this is Telugu, this has got to be one of the strangest recordings of Telugu I have ever heard! The guy in the recording sounds like he’s talking with some kind of accent, perhaps deliberately (to sound like a foreign preacher?).

Compare the Malayalam recordings here: http://globalrecordings.net/en/program/C62427. Here also, the speaker seems to not distinguish between the two “sh”s of Malayalam and often uses somewhat odd intonation.

And Telugu is by no means a minor language, not even by Indian standards!

15. Bhemeane says:

I agree, his accent in speaking Telugu is very strange. And yes, Telugu can be spoken quite fast indeed. I can barely understand my grandfather sometimes.