Here is a recording of me saying the names of five places in England. Each is spelt in a way that doesn’t match the pronunciation. Can you work out which places they are?
The second one would be “Worcestershire” ?
By the way, the third sounds like “Kirchner”, but I think he’s no English city!
I think the last one is Suffolk, but I could be wrong.
haha funny one Jose. I do think Kirchner was not said earlier. He is definitely no English town.
My guess-I’m pretty sure on all of them but the first one.
The last one is Southwark, not Suffolk
Here’s what they sound like to me. I decided to just guess instead of cheating and looking up UK placenames. :)
- Worcestershire (this one way easy, based on the pronunciation of the sauce)
- South Ark
Here are the answers:
1. Heysham, Lancashire – /’hi:ʃəm/
2. Worcestershire – /’wʊstɚʃə/
3. Woolfardisworthy, Devon – /’wʊlzi/
4. Cholmondeley, Cheshire — /’tʃʌmli/
5. Southwark, Greater London — /’sʌðək/ or /’sʌvək/
Go to Omniglot.com
Omniglot blog is powered by
and Comments RSS
Copyright © 2008. All right reserved. Theme Design by Good Design Web