Here’s a recording of conversation in a mystery language. Any ideas which language it is?

some where in eastern europe ……… finnish ….. estonian .. or close by!?

2. Colm says:

Is it Frisian, the minority language of the Netherlands and Northern Germany?

3. Æren says:

It sounds like some Scandinavian,,, Frisian sounds like good suggestion…

4. iwsfutcmd says:

With the intonation, my guess is Swedish or Norwegian (or maybe a Danish dialect). Or it could be a reversed English sound file. They sound pretty much the same.

Ben

5. Podolsky says:

Swedish

6. Anders says:

My first thought was Estonian but since Colm didnt thought so I guess it isn’t.

I’m from Sweden and I can tell that it is not Swedish, Danish or Norwegian.

It doesnt sound like Finnish either.

I go for lappish.

7. Juliette says:

Oh hell.. I don’t know, but I seem to be able to understand bits and pieces of it…. this is really weird for me…

Having recognized some phrases and words – like ‘wist wel’ (very typical, translates to Dutch proper as ‘weet je wel’ or in English ‘you know’) -, my guess would have to be one of the Dutch “dialects” (most are recognized as separate languages, though most Dutch people would be surprised if they knew) or Frysian, but then again, if it would be one of the Dutch dialects, I normally can understand most of it… (not so with Frysian though).

Anyway, I dare to bet it’s one of the Low Saxon-Low Franconian languages (http://www.ethnologue.com/show_family.asp?subid=90432), I just haven’t got a clue which one.

Would it by any chance be Gronings or Zeeuws ?

8. Daydreamer says:

I think it’s Afrikaans and the conversation seems to be recorded from the Muppets Show starting with the question “What time is it?”.

9. John C says:

I’m guessing Afrikaans……

The language is Frisian and the recording comes from this site.

11. James says:

It´s Germanic, and seems to have a lot of similarity to Dutch, but it is not Dutch, Flemish, or Africaans nor a german dialect. It is not Swedish, norwegian or Danish either.

frisian. never heard it spoken but I know it is the closest to Dutch

James