Name the language

Where might you see the following sign, and what does it mean?

Quiz question 160906

Clues: the sign needs to be rotated to see the writing the right way up (this is how it was sent to me). This alphabet is used to write quite a few of the languages spoken in South Asia

In case you’re wondering why I’m posting this week’s quiz question today rather than yesterday, it’s because I was unable to access this blog yesterday for unknown technical reasons.

22 Responses to Name the language

Absolutely it’s devanagari
    but even if i found out whats written .. i dont think i would be able to translate it!!

2. Mike says:

I think it’s “sochie”, but I have no idea what it could mean. I’ve always loved Devanagari!

3. renato says:

Of course this is devanagari script, hindi language, but unfortunately I don’t Know the meaning

It is the Devanagari script, but the language isn’t Hindi.

5. renato says:

If is not Hindi, can be Assame, Gujarati, Nepali, Punjabi or Sanskrit. If all is wrong, which is the correct language, please!!!!.

If you ask me, the way it is said, I mean “si-ci-e” sounds like Japanese!
    Anyway if it is not hindi, we have a wide range of choices since most of south asian script are derived from Brahmi! So any language there can be written with devanagari, no?!

The transliteration of the words is ‘soci e’. The language is one of those mentioned by renato.

8. AR says:

cant be assamese. thats written with a variant of the bengali alphabet. devanagari has been extended to encompass all the sounds of the languages of india. but it is not suited for tibetan, thai, hmong, filipino, or other SE asian brahmi scripts.

9. AR says:

its either nepali or sanskrit. the others renato mentioned have their own scripts too. if it is a sanskrit based language, then it might be from the root soch or sochna, which according to my hindi dictionary means to brood or think. i think that it is a conjugated form, probably to be thinking or something like that.

10. AR says:

the nepali dictionary says sochnu means to think. didnt get results from the sanskrit dictionary. my gues is nepali

11. Rahool says:

It is devanagari…

It is most likely Hindi
    “Sochi e” means think (of something) or search (for something)
    well to the best of my knowledge, and yes it is conjugated, I think it is the “tu” form but not sure…

12. Chase Boday says:

If it were hindi, then it’s in the polite “aap” imperative form as far as conjugation goes. The verb ‘sochnaa’ means ‘think’ so this, if it were hindi would mean “Please think!” or perhaps “Be careful” (this is a stretch). But, remember, it isn’t hindi, so i’m lost too! Should we get rid of Punjabi and Gujarati as possibilities, since they use a different form of devanagari? So, im guessing its nepalese. Meaning? I dunno!

if renato mentioned it …. then I stick to Sanskrit :)

14. AR says:

Punjabi is written with the Gurmukhi script (brahmi derivative) by Sikhs and Hindus, and Shahmukhi (an extension of the Arabic script similar to Urdu) by muslims. Rarely is it written in devanagari, and if ever, only by punjabis in the Indian state of Haryana. Gujarati is written with the Gujarati script. it was based upon devanagari and is quite similar, but different enough to be a unique script.

15. Podolsky says:

It is Hindi, no doubt; pronounced “sochie” and meaning “think” imperative plural.

I was fairly sure it was Nepali, but it appears I was wrong. It looks like Podolsky has got it. I understand that this sign is part of an ad for IBM that means “Think!”.

LOL
    but hey i was the first to answer it was devanagari! :D

18. Podolsky says:

Nepali is also written in Devanagari and has the root “soch-” to think, but the suffix -ie ~ -iye is found in Hindi. The corresponding Nepali form is socha.

19. it`s devanagari script and language is hindi. it`s a polite and mild imperetive form as “please think” in english.

20. Satya says:

“sochiye” which means “think”

21. Satya says: