Name the writing system

Do you know what writing system this is and where you might see it?

Unknown writing system

A few clues: this writing system does not currently appear on Omniglot (I’ll add it when I’ve found enough information about it). It was invented during the 1950s and is logo-syllabic, i.e. each symbol represents a syllable in the spoken language, and also means something.

This entry was posted in Language, Quiz questions.

9 Responses to Name the writing system

  1. Joseph Staleknight says:

    Looks a bit like old Sumerian, or perhaps Indo-European….

  2. Chase Boday says:

    Is it from Easter Island? Or some kind of Polenesian?

  3. TJ says:

    It’s an artificial one (or let’s say modern) …. I think it was invented for some purpose but not really to help some nation with its language hmm…

  4. Chase Boday says:

    oops, i didn’t see the 1950 comment… not polynesian, then i guess

  5. TJ says:

    I heard of something called the “Bliss system” …. is this the one?

  6. Simon says:

    None of you are close, I’m afraid. The answer is …

    the Bété Script, invented by Frédéric Bruly Bouabré, an artist from Côte d’Ivoire, in 1952 to write the Bété language, a member of the Kru branch of Niger-Congo languages. He invented the script to help the people of his community to learn to read and write their language. It’s still used by a few people apparently. Bouabré also wrote a number of books in Bété and French about his script.

    There’s more information about it at: (PDF)

  7. TJ says:

    Sometimes wide imagination can block the information flow that makes you practical, especially with something like writing! 🙂

  8. Joseph Staleknight says:

    Well, the closeness of the logographs made it look similar to something ancient….

  9. Don Osborn says:

    Just put up a minimal stub on this alphabet on the English Wikipedia at . More is needed on that, as well as related articles on Bouabré and Bété.

%d bloggers like this: