Contact

You can contact me on feedback[at]omniglot[dot]com.

See also: http://www.omniglot.com/contact.htm

If you would like to submit a constructed script to Omniglot, please see: http://www.omniglot.com/conscripts/howto.htm.

NB Only conlangs written with original and interesting scripts will be considered for inclusion.

If you want help with a translation or with deciphering a text in a mysterious language, please post it on the Omniglot Facebook group.

7 Responses to Contact

1. Lucas Kenji says:

Saudações do Brasil!
    On the subject of the word “obrigado”, which originally means “forced, compelled” (when accompanied by verbal noun), or “committed to, owing to” (when accompanied by indirect object):
    The usage as an expression of gratitude comes from European Portuguese phrase “fico-lhe obrigado”, meaning “I’m committed to you, I’m owing to you”. That’s why the participle must agree in gender with the speaker (women should always say obrigada).
    In modern Brazilian Portuguese, however, the verb “obrigar” had a small semantic shift, and lost completely the meaning of “committed” when accompanied by indirect object. We only use this verb to say someone is forced to do something. Consequently, most Brazilian people use the expression “obrigado” without knowing exactly where it comes from, and unschooled women usually say “obrigado”, without the proper agreement.
    In my life, I’ve never seen someone say “obrigados/as”, speaking for a group of persons, but I’m aware that such occurs in formal or archaic texts, and also in very-polite European Portuguese speech.

2. Margaret says:

Hi Simon,
    I thought you might appreciate this tidbit. I’m posting it here in case you don’t catch my tweet.

3D Scanning Preserves Ancient Irish Language
    Dec. 27, 2013
    If you could head way back to Kerry County, Ireland in the year 5 AD, you’d find yourself amidst the Ogham alphabet as a series of notches and lines etched pristinely in stone. Travel back to the current day and those markings, the earliest record of Irish written language, would be faded from the elements and history. Before the artifacts are destroyed any further by the unfolding entropy of time and the Universe, the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies is using an Artec Eva 3D laser scanner to render 3D models of all 400 Ogham stones to be made freely available online. The 3D models will both help preserve the ancient records of 5 AD Ireland and provide ample information to archaeologists and linguists. For more information on the project, visit their website and watch the video below.

3. Ned says:

Hi Simon,
    I don’t know whether this would interest you but I have just put windows keyboard maps to enable the typing of Runes or Ogham using a standard keyboard. It’s at http://www.eramm.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Runestaves.htm.
    Kind regards
    ᛭ᚾᛟᛞ᛭

4. joe says:

re: pendramwnwgl, the word wynebwaered is more ‘upside-down’, wyneb = the side you can see; waered (from gwaelod)= the base, bottom-side.
    nice blog btw :)

5. Harvey says:

Where did you get the translation of the Mohawk Tower of Babel. The book of Genesis is not even printed but appears on your page!

Harvey – I think someone sent me the Mohawk translation of the Tower of Babel story, but I don’t remember who, and can’t find their email.

7. Bob Campbell says:

Re ‘Humboldt’s parrot’ ‘http://www.omniglot.com/blog/?p=4711′. I only came across this story 2 days ago and was enchanted by it.
    My attempts to track down a reliable source have led me to feel that it’s an old urban myth – or should I say Jungle myth, the origins of which are as remote and misty as was Humbolt’s jungle journey.
    Further news will be sent back by message stick- or parrot.