Can you identify the language, and do you know where it’s spoken?

1. Dan_ad_nauseam says:

I;m tempted to say it’s a Portuguese creole, but I could be entirely wrong.

2. Trond Engen says:

I’m pretty sure you’re wrong, but that’s about as precise I want to be. Simon, a hint please!

3. David Eger says:

From the sound of it, I would guess it to be from somewhere in or around the western Indian Ocean. But as to which continent, and which language family it belongs to, I’m clueless.

I can’t hear anything remotely Portuguese in there. Some vowel sounds resemble Tamil to my ear, but some bits sound more African.

4. michael farris says:

I’m thinking (Central or South) Amerindian but can’t pin it down yet.

5. Christopher says:

An uninformed guess, but I’m going to say something Micronesian.

As an aside, and maybe a coincidence, but I distinctly hear the English words “over the water” spoken very deliberately right in the middle of the recording. ?

6. Vijay John says:

I think it’s a South American language, too. (I probably won’t have time to determine anything more than that. If my vague impression from listening to it once is right).

7. Vijay John says:

OK, I take my South American guess back. I actually am leaning more towards Indonesia and thereabouts. I hear the word “Noe” in there, so I’m sure there’s at least some Portuguese influence….I’m not expecting to be right this time :-/

8. michael farris says:

I withdraw my American guess. Now I’m thinking Austronesian but not having much luck pinning it down further.

9. Trond Engen says:

I’ve been thinking of all of the above too. I’ve tried to transcribe it and google phrases, which has worked a couple of times before, but no luck. It’s weird. But I really like the sound of it.

The answer is Waunana (Noanamá, Woun Meu), a Chocoan language spoken in Panama and Colombia.

The recording comes from the GRN.

11. Dan_ad_nauseam says:

As I said, I was completely wrong.