Here are recordings of people from different countries speaking French. Can you work out which countries they come from?

This entry was posted in French, Language, Quiz questions.

1. Colm says:

1. France
    2. Belgium
    3. Quebec (Canada)
    4. Switzerland

2. Mike says:

I agree with Colm.
    1. France
    2. Belgium
    3. Québec
    4. Switzerland

If you want to hear true Québécois at its best go to: http://www.tetesaclaques.tv. These short clips and the website have become something of a cultural phenomenon here in Québec and is hugely popular. It really gives you a flavor of the phonology, the lexicon and the expressions here. :) Enjoy!

3. Colm says:

Merci bien Mike! :-)

4. David says:

Oui, I also agree with Colm

France
    Belgium
    Quebec
    and Switzerland

5. Karim says:

It would be interesting to do this with Arabic dialects/variants. I tried a simple online survey with a bunch of songs sometime ago and found most people thought most Eastern dialects sounded identical.

6. Evans Knight says:

what? no ‘cadien?

7. Travis says:

Before having read the previous posts, I had incorrectly guessed that number two came from Southern France. I noticed the announcer in the sample highlighted a final e at the end of several of his words: souhaite, podium, coupe, and réussite. My friend from Bergerac emphasizes these final e’s also. I’m glad to hear that this is done in Belgium. Vivent les e muets qui ont trouvé leur voix.

8. ISPKN says:

I could only recognize the first one as France and the third one as Quebec, but I’m glad that everyone else seems to agree.

Here are the answers:

Recording 1
    Country: France
    Radio Station: france inter

Recording 2
    Country: Belgium
    Radio Station: Bel RTL

Recording 3
    Country: Canada (Quebec)
    Radio Station: CKAC 730AM

Recording 4
    Country: Switzerland
    Radio Station: Radio Suisse Romande

10. James says:

I am an addict of these guess the accent things

(1) France. Love it ´changer´ ídentité´and facile…

(2) Belgium: hard to say why (though I lived there for 9 months but that was more than 10 years ago).

(3) canadian: never heard the accent before and the pronunciation of the english words: Cat Stevens

(4) Swiss.

I have to admit to being a snob with French accents: only the french one sounds ´right´ to me :)

James

11. Questioneer??? says:

This is rather interesting because to me the one from Belgium sound the most right to me. I believe I can attribute this to the fact that my first French teacher was from Belgium but the one from France also seems correct.

12. art says:

the swiss one was pretty easy to figure out i guess, because she says “geneve” and the Quebecois one was silly because he said all those English names.

13. Doodee says: