Puzzling pumpkin

This mysterious writing was found by a visitor to Omniglot on a large pumpkin in a pumpkin patch in Michigan.

Puzzling pumpkin

Can anyone make any sense of the writing?

(It’s the same writing in each image, just different ways up)

This entry was posted in Puzzles, Writing.

8 Responses to Puzzling pumpkin

1. dveej says:

Nematodes.

2. Matt says:

Well, the last word on the left picture clearly says “Amen” to me…
    I can’t make sense of anything else though.

the last letter in the second line … seems like “F” in cyrillic or greek

4. Jim Morrison says:

This is a really long shot but I think the last word could be Ameri and not Amen. The ‘n’ looks more like an ‘ri’ to me. Maybe they wanted to write America but didn’t finish it.
    I told you it was a long shot ;-)
    As for the rest of it, I have no idea.

5. Stosis says:

This almost looks like natural scarring. Most of it looks letter-like but the “ameri”/”amen” at the end almost looks to well carved and seems to be actual writing. It could also be that someone wrote the last word and the stuff above it is natural.

6. Marc says:

I think second line is ХСФ (XSF) in Greek or Cyrillic. The F is more cyrillic-shaped than greek. This could be an abbreviation of Christoforos (Christopher). Does it have anything to do with Columbus? That could explain the word Ameri (I agree it is rather Ameri than Amen). But why the abbreviation in Cyrillic and the word Ameri in Latin script? The upper line seems like a number of some kind, or maybe a date. I read X916. I can’t find out more.

7. bob says:

The writing has indication that the origin of the word American is amen

8. bronz says:

Another long shot, following the Cyrillic line of thought, the whole thing could be in cursive Cyrillic, so we’d find this (assuming the very last letter was meant to be “n”-looking):

хж хсф Атеп

But I don’t know enough about Slavic languages to figure whether that could make any sense in any way.