Weather words in Kadazandusun
Weather words and weather-related expressions in Kadazandusun with English equivalents. Kadazandusun phrases are somewhat different in Central Dusun and Coastal Kadazan dialects.
Key to abbreviations: DTP = Central Dusun, KZJ = Coastal Kadazan
- Tadau = the weather / sun
- Kowowoyoon do tadau (DTP) = the weather forecast
Koula-ulahon do tadau (KZJ)
- Poingkuro o tadau baino? = What is the weather like today?
- Osonong tadau baino. (DTP) = The weather is nice today.
Avasi tadau baino. (KZJ)
- Anawau ilo tadau. (DTP) = The sun is shining.
Anavau iho tadau. (KZJ)
- Araat tadau (DTP), Alaat tadau (KZJ) = bad weather
- Bolobou (DTP), Bohobou (KZJ) = dew
- Rasam (DTP), Asam (KZJ) = rain
- Rumasam no. (DTP), Umasam no. (KZJ) = It is raining
- Asapou kopio ilo rasam. (DTP) = It is raining heavily.
Asapou kozo iho asam. (KZJ)
- Moris-poris (DTP) = drizzle
- Salju = snow
- Tumuru no salju. (DTP) = It is snowing
Tumuu’ no salju. (KZJ)
- Ais kodou = hail
- Tumuru no ais kodou. (DTP) = It is hailing
Tumuu’ no ais kodou. (KZJ)
- Lumanak ais (DTP), Humanak ais (KZJ) = slush
- Miagal do korikot ilo rasam. (DTP) = It looks like rain.
Miaga’ do koi-ikot iho asam. (KZJ)
- Kumodou = frost
- Lumanak no salju. (DTP) = The snow has melted / has started to melt
Humanak no salju. (KZJ)
- Kumodou no. = It froze.
- Parasaman (DTP), Paasaman (KZJ) = precipitation
- Hawun (DTP), Avan (KZJ) = cloud
- Oluhung (DTP), Ohuung (KZJ) = It is cloudy
- Oluhung ilo tawan. (DTP), Ohuung iho tavan. (KZJ) = Clouds have covered the sky. / The sky has become overcast.
- Lisohu (DTP), Avun (KZJ) = fog
- Haro lisohu no. (DTP), Humavun no. (KZJ) = it is foggy. / It is hazy.
- Ribut (DTP), Ibut (KZJ) = wind
- Monowogi ilo ribut. (DTP), Monovugi iho ibut. (KZJ) = The wind is blowing; It is windy
- Tongus = storm
- Haro Tongus. (DTP), Kivaa tongus. (KZJ) = It is stormy
- Tinggorud (DTP), Tinggoud (KZJ) = thunder
- Gonit = bolt of lightning
- Haro tinggorud. (DTP) Kivaa tinggoud. (KZJ) = It is thundering
- Haro gonit om tinggorud. (DTP) = There's thunder and lightning
Kivaa gonit om tinggoud. (KZJ)
- Notongusan ku. = I got caught by a storm.
- Osogit. = It is cold. / It is cool.
- Osogit om oributan. (DTP) = It is chilly or windy
Osogit om oibutan. (KZJ)
- Osonong sinogit dau. (DTP) = It is a comfortable temperature
Avasi sinogit dau. (KZJ)
- Alasu. (DTP), Ahasu (KZJ) = It is warm. / It is hot.
- Magadau = It is sunny.
- Nadalaan dot alasu ilo tadau. (DTP) = It is too much hot.
Nadahaan dot ahasu iho tadau. (KZJ)
Kadazandusun weather words supplied by Lesley Housten C Kibat
If you would like to make any corrections or additions to this page, or if
you can provide recordings, please contact me.
Information about Kadazandusun |
Central Dusun phrases |
Coastal Kadazan phrases |
Kinship terms |
Telling the time |
Weather words |
Tower of Babel
How to talk about the weather in a variety of languages