5 Reasons Why You Should Teach English Abroad
by Charles Morley
With job opportunities in the UK still difficult to come by, and student fees on the rise as of September this year, alternative career and study choices are becoming increasingly popular. TEFL (Teach English as a Foreign Language) courses are one of these alternative options that are growing in popularity and we have gathered the five best why reasons you should consider teaching abroad.
- Combine your passion of languages with travelling, and earn money while doing it.
Many people would love to travel the world but are turned off due to the need to save money before setting off however this doesn't have to be the case if you can work while abroad. The fact you will be earning money by teaching something you have a passion for will even make your time spent travelling even more satisfying.
- Experience different cultures. This is the main reason people go travelling, if you have a hunger to learn more about the world or a specific country and would love to fully immerse yourself in a culture there is no better way to do so than to teach in that destination.
- Enhance your CV. If you decide you want to return home at any point, you will have gained valuable life skills which will enhance your chances of being successful when applying for future jobs.
- Acquire new language skills. While it is not a requirement of a TEFL teacher to know the native language, just by spending time in different countries will help you to increase your language skills and pick up a new language.
- Set off on the adventure of a lifetime. We all know someone who has travelled to exotic locations and returned with impressive stories of their time spent abroad. By teaching abroad not only will you return with tales of the sights you saw but you will also know your time was spent helping the locals learn a language skill that could benefit them massively in the future.
TEFL is not just an excellent opportunity to add experience to your CV, but a great opportunity to explore the world. Not only will teaching abroad mean you visit a country but it also allows you to fully immerse yourself into the local culture while helping to shape a part of the community there. You will meet a host of amazing new people teaching abroad and it can be an extremely positive experience. If you have a passion for languages, teaching and travel than a TEFL course may appeal to you.
Learn Chinese Characters with the Omniglot Chinese app