Languages you'd like to learn...

The place to discuss learning languages

Re: Languages you'd like to learn...

Postby Tikolm » Fri 13 Jul 2012 5:27 pm

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Haws dweud mynydd na mynd drosto.

Well, I just translated this, and here is what Google Translate said: "Easier said than mountain passes." I assume that means "easier said than done". Am I right?

You didn't translate it; you had it translated. Google Translate did all the heavy lifting, then you made a (lucky) guess.

Literally, the proverb is "Easier to say mountain than to go across it". Perhaps you could "seriously" learn Welsh if you wanted to. But, as the Welsh say, ni heuir ni fedir! (Good luck getting Google to translate that one!)

Oh, will you stop picking the nits? Obviously I didn't "translate" it according to your narrow definition of the word. So what? Enough of this. You know I don't know Welsh as well as you or the "serious" learners do, so please stop replying in Welsh (especially with things you think I can't translate!). It's really getting on my nerves, and you should consider yourself very lucky that this post isn't all in Leafoosish! If I were to post in Leafoosish, this exchange would be fair, but fortunately for you, I'm choosing to post in English so you can understand it. Until you pay me the same courtesy, I'm not going to participate in this pointless discussion. Ne ser-el â ren, pur la gonell!
Tikolm

Postby linguoboy » Fri 13 Jul 2012 6:24 pm

Tikolm wrote:Oh, will you stop picking the nits? Obviously I didn't "translate" it according to your narrow definition of the word. So what? Enough of this. You know I don't know Welsh as well as you or the "serious" learners do

Correction: You don't know Welsh, full stop.

Tikolm wrote:you should consider yourself very lucky that this post isn't all in Leafoosish! If I were to post in Leafoosish, this exchange would be fair, but fortunately for you, I'm choosing to post in English so you can understand it. Until you pay me the same courtesy, I'm not going to participate in this pointless discussion. Ne ser-el â ren, pur la gonell!

The difference is I never once said "I'm already sort of learning Leafoosish anyway". I'm not and I have no interest in ever learning it.

Here's a thought: Be honest about your linguistic abilities and there won't be anything to "nitpick".
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Fri 13 Jul 2012 8:31 pm

Before I leave this thread for good, I have two things to say:
1. Honesty is, to some extent, in the eye of the beholder. There's no point arguing this, because I know that flat-out lying and half-truths don't count as honesty. However, half-truths can be defined in multiple ways. (If you don't agree, that's fine. I don't care.)
2. I realize I reap what I sow, but that goes for all of us here so no singling out.
Tikolm

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Sat 14 Jul 2012 4:35 am

Instead of my own conlang, I'm going to say this in English:

Stop flaming each other.
Dan_ad_nauseam

Postby linguoboy » Sat 14 Jul 2012 2:51 pm

Dan_ad_nauseam wrote:Stop flaming each other.

You may ask, but don't you think it's rather rude to make demands?

Plus you're half a day too late. Our conversation was already over.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Elijah » Thu 30 Aug 2012 2:56 pm

@LB: Honestly, you can be civil. I know you can: I've seen it on other threads.

I DO NOT want this forum to turn into the smoldering mess that is the ZBB.
Native: American English
Learning: Mandarin, Burmese, Japanese
Want to learn: Cantonese, ASL, Basque?
Elijah

Postby linguoboy » Thu 30 Aug 2012 4:09 pm

Elijah wrote:@LB: Honestly, you can be civil. I know you can: I've seen it on other threads.

I've been perfectly civil in this thread. You and I apparently have different definitions of what that means.

Elijah wrote:I DO NOT want this forum to turn into the smoldering mess that is the ZBB.

How could it? There's not nearly enough kindling.
linguoboy

Postby mamd » Thu 30 Aug 2012 4:33 pm

I DO NOT want this forum to turn into the smoldering mess that is the ZBB.

At least stopping flames that have faded out long before won't help you prevent it.

--

On topic.
I had a desire to learn some Dutch this summer. Easily predictable, I didn't succeed.
mamd

Postby Elijah » Sat 08 Sep 2012 3:34 am

There's a difference between being obnoxiously snarky and being civil. :D
Native: American English
Learning: Mandarin, Burmese, Japanese
Want to learn: Cantonese, ASL, Basque?
Elijah

Postby linguoboy » Sat 08 Sep 2012 7:49 pm

Elijah wrote:There's a difference between being obnoxiously snarky and being civil. :D

Indeed. The question is: Do you know what it is?

[Feel free to elabourate in a new thread. This one is already cluttered enough with nonsense as it is.]
linguoboy

PreviousNext

Return to Language learning