Countries or parts of the world you wouldn't want to go to

The place for chat about anything not related to language.

Re: Countries or parts of the world you wouldn't want to go to

Postby Neqitan » Fri 08 May 2009 12:17 am

linguoboy wrote:
Delodephius wrote:From where I come we use Mongoloid when referring to the race. I don't know which is the most appropriate term in English.

"Mongoloid" as a racial term sounds like something out of a 100 year-old textbook.

In El Salvador people still say Mongoles though. :lol: (Though only if mocking their appearance.)
Most people in the US would simply say "Asians", which in everyday use excludes South Asians ("Indians") and Southwestern Asians ("Middle Easterners").

And sometimes Southeast Asians, sometimes not.
Delodephius wrote:At college we were taught the Caucasian sub-races that were typical for Slavs. I later did a bit of research and as far as I can tell I'm a mixture of the Alpinid and Baltid sub-races. It was in the Slavic Studies class when we were going through the section "Anthropology aspect" of Slavs (there were other sections of other aspects: linguistical, confessional, ethnic, cultural, etc.). So basically, from where I come the concept of race is still used to classify humans. Living in a nearly 100% white community there is also a high level of bias and stereotyping, but then again most people, like my 84 year-old grandfather, have never seen a black or a yellow man in their whole life and wouldn't really have an opinion about them.

In El Salvador there are literally no blacks, no people from the Middle East, and almost no Chinese (and the only way to meet some of them is actually going to look for them in some gathering places, but normally you're unlikely to find them walk by you or anything.)
And I'm pretty sure old people would be scared of a black person if it walked even down the street. Not because they would associate it with crime or violence, they don't know about those, but because the person's very appearance would be frightening to them.

We don't get to the extreme of the Slovaks however.
Neqitan

Postby Delodephius » Fri 08 May 2009 12:28 am

It is not extreme. It's just mostly old people in rural areas that get afraid in the same manner when a fast motorbike drives by. :D
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Talib » Fri 08 May 2009 1:05 am

Except a fast motorbike is dangerous, and the average black person isn't.

Also, c'mon, nobody reponded to my megillah of a post on politics? That probably took me fifteen whole minutes to write. Aw.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

Postby Delodephius » Fri 08 May 2009 1:10 am

Talib wrote:Except a fast motorbike is dangerous, and the average black person isn't.

If you saw an alien packing laser guns wouldn't you be a bit freaked at first? I know, I know, aliens with laser guns are not like a black man with no guns walking down the street, but tell that to the old folks. Hell, my grandfather would get a heart attack if he saw an alien. At least he heard of black people. :lol:
- Latina Ἑλληνική संस्कृतम् पाळि עִבְרִית پارسيک الفصحى 文言 Norrœnt
https://sites.google.com/site/sophologia/
Delodephius

Postby Zachary » Fri 08 May 2009 1:20 am

linguoboy wrote:Pity, Zachary, you were sounding so reasonable until that last bit.
Heh, sorry, I just didn't feel like writing a lengthy post (or bigger than it was) to show to what extent racism against Mexicans is still prevalent, especially in the Southern United States. I also didn't want anyone to think that I was referring solely to some other historical event, such as the Mexican–American War, so I just threw in that one article. I know that act was comitted by a single person, but it's definitely not the only one. If it's also of any help, Wiki also has a brief description on the matter, and a few other sources I found made mention of communities which were prominently anti-Mexican. Other fairly closely linked terms include anti-immigrants, anti-aliens, and hispanophobia.
Zachary

Postby linguoboy » Fri 08 May 2009 2:57 am

Zachary wrote:I know that act was comitted by a single person, but it's definitely not the only one.

C'mon, Zachary; you're a bright boy. You know that a fistful of anecdotes still doesn't add up to proof of systematic bias. All it establishes is that there's more than one individual prejudiced against Mexicans in the USA. (Not exactly a shocker in a nation of 306 million people and counting.) It doesn't really matter too much what biases particular individuals have unless they're backed up by societal institutions.

Not that I believe this isn't true in the case of Mexicans in the USA; I just don't believe you've demonstrated it with the evidence you've presented here. You certainly haven't made the case that it's worse than, say, institutional discrimination against Copts in Egypt or South Asians in Qatar (which is how this tangent came into being in the first place).
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby formiko » Fri 08 May 2009 4:35 am

From my 38 years on the earth, I've come to the conclusion that people don't generally hate Mexicans, Blacks or Irish or Germans or whatever the token race of the decade is. When their pocketbooks get effected, or are perceived to be effected, or MIGHT get effected, whoever is in that group, whether they be Mexicans, Jews, Gays, Irish or Tuvaluans, they will be the target of anger and fear. If the US kicked out every Mexican tomorrow, and replaced them with Solomon Islanders, the average American would HATE the Solomon Islander, including the Mexican! Look at the history of the US concerning the Irish. Americans (including Blacks) were revolting against the "dirty Irish".
And if an Italian (a previous object of hatred) would "slum" it (by dating an Irish girl), they were disowned! Watch Gangs of New York for an example. The Italians moved up a notch because of the Irish. Unfortunately, Mexicans have taken the new spot. Maybe Tongans in 2010? ;)
ᏙᏒᏓᎵ ᏗᏑᎶ ᎭᏫ
formiko

Postby linguoboy » Fri 08 May 2009 4:55 am

formiko wrote:And if an Italian (a previous object of hatred) would "slum" it (by dating an Irish girl), they were disowned!

Worse than that. The Italian neighbourhood in my home town is called "The Hill" (formerly "Dago Hill", though not in my lifetime). For years the running joke was, "There's finally been a mixed marriage on the Hill! A Lombard married a Sicilian!"

Watch Gangs of New York for an example.

Ah, yes--Scorsese's sole feature-length documentary.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby ILuvEire » Fri 08 May 2009 5:14 am

linguoboy wrote:
formiko wrote:And if an Italian (a previous object of hatred) would "slum" it (by dating an Irish girl), they were disowned!

Worse than that. The Italian neighbourhood in my home town is called "The Hill" (formerly "Dago Hill", though not in my lifetime). For years the running joke was, "There's finally been a mixed marriage on the Hill! A Lombard married a Sicilian!"

Haha, that's totally true! Old Italians can be really racist, especially toward Mexicans now-a-days. (although, my great-grandma was TERRIFIED of black people).
dansk - italiano - esperanto - Deutsch - português - tiếng Việt - עברית - ‘ōlelo Hawai‘i - ελλινικά - العربية - 中文 - íslenska
ILuvEire

Postby Talib » Fri 08 May 2009 5:25 am

My father got told off by his very Old World, Polish Catholic parents for bringing a Protestant friend to visit.

He got his revenge by dating a black girl later.

Unbelieveable that was only a few decades ago and now I'm volunteering at an immigrant services centre. Go multiculturalism.
العربية * 中文 * English * Français * Русский * Português * Español * हिन्दी/اردو * Deutsch * 日本語
Talib

PreviousNext

Return to General chat