Genglish

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Re: Genglish

Postby Tikolm » Fri 13 Jul 2012 5:09 pm

benny335 wrote:Mediikafaha Paart A

Mediikafaha Paart A das faahr haahspiiyu eegnpensess. Đych das praahpiidd ych naah aaddiitiiaahnaal kaahst taah whaah haave pÿid ych lrast 10 yrarde ntaah sstem.

Medicare Part A
Medicare Part A is for hospital expenses. It is provided at no additional cost to retirees who have paid at least 10 years into the system.

Retry =)

I like it better this time. :) About being a sub-dialect of English -- in my book, you can't have a sub-dialect of a language, you can only have a sub-dialect of a dialect (of a language). Other than that, having it be a sub-dialect of English is just fine and Linguoboy will probably be happier now.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby benny335 » Fri 13 Jul 2012 5:17 pm

Tikolm wrote:
benny335 wrote:Mediikafaha Paart A

Mediikafaha Paart A das faahr haahspiiyu eegnpensess. Đych das praahpiidd ych naah aaddiitiiaahnaal kaahst taah whaah haave pÿid ych lrast 10 yrarde ntaah sstem.

Medicare Part A
Medicare Part A is for hospital expenses. It is provided at no additional cost to retirees who have paid at least 10 years into the system.

Retry =)

I like it better this time. :) About being a sub-dialect of English -- in my book, you can't have a sub-dialect of a language, you can only have a sub-dialect of a dialect (of a language). Other than that, having it be a sub-dialect of English is just fine and Linguoboy will probably be happier now.

lol. I meant Dialect but some how I didn't think it through. lol I used the language construction kit. I used the sound changer thing on the web site. It's really helpful. http://www.zompist.com/sca2.html
benny335

Postby benny335 » Fri 13 Jul 2012 5:22 pm

Here is the list of rules for the Sound Change Applier thingy for genlish.

ay/a/_
ts/t/_
c/k/_
e/ee/#_
i/ii/_
o/ah/_
u/uh/_
x/gn/_
ai/ei/_
j/y/V_
ae/aa/_
OO/uu/_
ee//S_C
is/das/_#
i//#_
a/aa/_
ed/d/_#
the//_#
daas/das/_
re/nda/_#
ee/y/_#
ion/chun/_
th/đ/_
ing/ŋ/_
ss/de/_#
do/ti/_
and/fah/_
le//_#
Th/Đ/_
sys/ss/#_
v/p/_
aat/ych/_
ai/ÿ/_
ei/ÿ/_
ea/r/_
taal/yu/_
ce/s/_

just copy and paste this into the sound change field and hit apply. (After you put words into the Input Lexicon Field)

Mÿi naam das Ben
My name is Ben
benny335

Postby benny335 » Fri 13 Jul 2012 8:46 pm

I have added a new sound!

It's a velar H. To make the sound, get your mouth in the position to say the Velar NG and hold it. Next you make the H sound (Aspirated) while opening your mouth at the same time.

kär=Car (Borrowed)
çär=Hard/Tough

I'll try to upload a recording.
benny335

Postby linguoboy » Fri 13 Jul 2012 9:20 pm

benny335 wrote:It's a velar H. To make the sound, get your mouth in the position to say the Velar NG and hold it. Next you make the H sound (Aspirated) while opening your mouth at the same time.

You mean something like the voiceless velar nasal of Welsh (IPA [ŋ̊])? (You can hear examples in this video.)
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy

Postby Tikolm » Fri 13 Jul 2012 9:24 pm

benny335 wrote:I have added a new sound!

It's a velar H. To make the sound, get your mouth in the position to say the Velar NG and hold it. Next you make the H sound (Aspirated) while opening your mouth at the same time.

kär=Car (Borrowed)
çär=Hard/Tough

I'll try to upload a recording.

I think you mean /x/ (voiceless velar fricative). Personally, I'd represent it as <ch>, <kh> or <h>, but that's just me because I'm used to <ç> being used for /s/.
Anyway, nice! :)
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
Tikolm

Postby benny335 » Sat 14 Jul 2012 2:03 am

Well now that I think about it, its more like a cross between a k and a h. Not ch. The reason I chose ç is because the mark below the c is because it represents the mouth position when saying it.
benny335

Postby Tikolm » Sat 14 Jul 2012 2:30 am

benny335 wrote:Well now that I think about it, its more like a cross between a k and a h. Not ch. The reason I chose ç is because the mark below the c is because it represents the mouth position when saying it.

I see. I didn't mean an English ch sound, I was referring to a spelling you could use. I see what you're getting at, though. I really think you should click through the link I sent you -- /x/ does indeed seem to be the sound you're referring to.
Tikolm

Postby benny335 » Sat 14 Jul 2012 2:35 am

Your right. That is the sound.
benny335

Previous

Return to Conlangery