Genglish

The place to discuss your conlangs and conlanging.

Genglish

Postby benny335 » Thu 12 Jul 2012 1:57 am

I've been really bored so I decided to make another colang. Here is the Alphabet (And no, I still don't know IPA. It's too hard)

Y= J, but if an "e" comes before the "y" it becomes ee (If no vowel between consonant and y, use i)=Jon (Yon) Join (Yien) or Barley (Borly. It sounds just like its english counterpart)
Ch=German Ch
T=Ts caTS
A=Ay bAY
E=Ee shE
I=Ee shE
O=Ah cAr
U=Uh fUdge
Gn=X boX
Ei=Ai mIne
Ee=Eh Egg
Aa=ae bAy
Ii=Ih shIft
Oo=Short o (Aw) cAr
Uu=OO (As in Cool)
Ll=T Tar
Jj=Oh cOat
Q=Nal additioNAL
Qq=Y You
Uo=Ow cOW
Ie=Oi bOIl
Das=To be
Ti= To do
Fah=And/ also etc
De=multiple

Example sentence:

Meediicar paarll A

Meediicar Paarll A das fahr hospiitol eegnpeensiide. Iill das honduollti oll njj odiishunq coosll tuu reteirede whu hov muneti oll lesll 10 qqers
iintoo the siislleem.

(Medicare Part A
Medicare Part A is for hospital expenses. It is provided at no additional cost to retirees who have paid at least 10 years into the system.)
benny335
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat 28 May 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Genglish

Postby linguoboy » Thu 12 Jul 2012 4:22 am

This is not a conlang as such. It's a cypher of English with a deliberately opaque orthography.

Better luck next time.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: Genglish

Postby benny335 » Thu 12 Jul 2012 6:01 am

linguoboy wrote:This is not a conlang as such. It's a cypher of English with a deliberately opaque orthography.

Better luck next time.


It's not cypher English. I borrowed a lot from English however.
benny335
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat 28 May 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Genglish

Postby benny335 » Thu 12 Jul 2012 2:19 pm

Well I sort of take that back. It's a cypher and a colang due to the fact that the verbs are unlike anything in English.
benny335
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat 28 May 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Genglish

Postby linguoboy » Thu 12 Jul 2012 3:22 pm

benny335 wrote:Well I sort of take that back. It's a cypher and a colang due to the fact that the verbs are unlike anything in English.

How are they "unlike anything in English"? They don't seem all directly derived from English, but their morphosyntax is identical. You just substituted -ti for -ed.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: Genglish

Postby benny335 » Thu 12 Jul 2012 4:28 pm

No. Pay/ paid is muneti. Mune= money, Ti= To do.

Buukti To read. Buuk= book, Ti= to do

though I do see your point.

However, there is no, Am, is, are, was, were, Etc.
benny335
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat 28 May 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Genglish

Postby benny335 » Thu 12 Jul 2012 4:32 pm

Hello= Gnaide das (Xai Day Dahs) (X does not say "Z," it says X as in boX)
Good bye= Gnai fah de das
benny335
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat 28 May 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Genglish

Postby linguoboy » Thu 12 Jul 2012 4:41 pm

benny335 wrote:No. Pay/ paid is muneti. Mune= money, Ti= To do.

So then why is hov muneti glossed as "have paid" instead of "have to pay"?
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: Genglish

Postby Tikolm » Thu 12 Jul 2012 5:58 pm

Pur la gonell, ne zer se ddiscysion a ren. Arest de aler dan dill zircli.
Genglish verbs don't appear to be exactly "nothing like English", but they are different, interesting and worthwhile. Benny is doing something I haven't seen a lot, which is to just stick the verb for "do" onto whatever word you want to be a verb. The only real-world example I know of of a real-world language that does this is Dutch (open- + doen "do" = opendoen, "to open") but even there it's not universal. One side effect of this is that all the verbs will be regular this way because, essentially, they're all the same verb with different prefixes.
A small nit -- "buukti" looks like it should mean, literally, to read [only] books. Has it undergone a meaning shift to refer to other kinds of reading, or does it really only refer to reading books? You may not have thought this out, but it would make things more interesting if you could. :) Along the same lines, as you may know, there are kinds of "paying" that don't involve money and having the only verb for "pay" be derived from "money" indicates that the underlying concept of paying in the Genglish culture is tightly tied up with money.
I hope that made sense and wasn't offensive. By the way, if you really want to know how to make a language that's nothing like English (or whatever), here's an excellent (in my opinion) set of resources on it: The Language Construction Kit.
About the "English cypher" issue -- there's nothing whatever wrong with creating a language that's this obviously based on English, but some people can be real purists and will shoot down this type of project because it's not "creative" enough. This may or may not be true, and opinions vary, but it's usually best not to come right out and say "your language is nothing but an English cypher with deliberately obtuse spelling" or anything along those lines. If someone wants to create an English cypher, there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, my most developed and favorite conlang (Tikolmian) is nothing but encoded, somewhat spiced up English with a culture of its own.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
User avatar
Tikolm
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon 10 Aug 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Sylvara, Massachusetts

Re: Genglish

Postby Tikolm » Thu 12 Jul 2012 6:02 pm

linguoboy wrote:
benny335 wrote:No. Pay/ paid is muneti. Mune= money, Ti= To do.

So then why is hov muneti glossed as "have paid" instead of "have to pay"?

In case you haven't completely read Benny's post, "muneti" means both "paid" (preterite or past participle) and "pay" (infinitive). "Hov muneti", therefore, could logically mean either "have paid" or "have to pay", but Benny has chosen for it to mean "have paid".
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
User avatar
Tikolm
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon 10 Aug 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Sylvara, Massachusetts

Next

Return to Conlangery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 10 guests