tollir lyangûmiè

The place to discuss constructed writing systems (con-scripts)

tollir lyangûmiè

Postby Tovel » Thu 14 Jun 2012 7:44 pm

I'm new in this forum and, to begin, I post my language (called tollir or leeir) alphabet. The vowels are written above the precedent consonant (like in tengwar), if it's not possible, they're written above an special symbol.
Alfabet complet.jpg
Alfabet complet.jpg (25.83 KiB) Viewed 2990 times

It's an example, transliterated "xie tollir xèmòn séthalû", which means "Tollir is my language". Below there are the punctuation marks.
xie tollir xèmòn séthalû.jpg
xie tollir xèmòn séthalû.jpg (8.86 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
Native: Català
Prefectly: Castellano
I can defend me: English, Français
I have some knowledge and learning: lingua latina, русский язык, 日本語, עִבְרִית, Cymraeg.
Own: tollir
Tovel

Re: tollir lyangûmiè

Postby Tovel » Sat 16 Jun 2012 9:30 am

I forgot to say that all consonants and the signs for dot and comma are evolved from real things.

These are the 4 numerical sistems which exists together in my language. Evryone is used for different purposes, the first one, is for whole numbers (it has a 5 base, I'll explain later why are there 6 simbols), the second is for decimal numbers (it's a 10 base), the 3rd is used to count money (its base is a 12 one) and the last is not extricly a numerical sistem although in the beginning it was, they are used to denote the diferent value of the coins. (the 0 is never used in the last sistem).

For writting bigger numbers first they are written the smaller orders (first the decimal numbers and then the whole ones).

The three first sistems have an extra number (5,10 and 12 respectively) that's used when the last number (either decimal ones or whole ones) is 1 and the penultimate is 0.
Números.jpg
Números.jpg (17.38 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
I have some knowledge and learning: lingua latina, русский язык, 日本語, עִבְרִית, Cymraeg.
Tovel

Postby Tovel » Tue 19 Jun 2012 6:06 pm

I'm sorry, but I've just seen that the title is wrong. It have to be "lyangû tollimiè"
Tovel

Postby Tovel » Mon 22 Oct 2012 4:11 pm

I've noticed, since you write the bigger figures are written before, it can be said that it's a one-fifth-base numeric system and at the same time, a 1/10th-base one. Am I wrong?

I'll appreciate whether someone can help me.
Tovel

Postby Tovel » Mon 22 Oct 2012 9:02 pm

I've recently created symbols for diphthongs, they're used as the vowel's ones.
I expect you like them.

Diftongs+.jpg
Diftongs+.jpg (44.54 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
Tovel

Postby Anoran » Fri 26 Oct 2012 4:00 am

The base number system has to be a whole number, ie. a positive integer. You've got three bases in your language - 5, 10, and 12. It doesn't matter what order they are written in. However, the number that usually comes first could indicate the most common base used. It really depends how you want to do your number system.

From the looks of it, you could say it's a way to avoid confusion between numbers. Although it's not really necessary, you could use the base-5 numbers for the tens digit, and the base-10 or base-12 numbers for the ones digit.

ie.
Strict Base-10 System
Some languages have more than ten numbers. However, they still use base-10.
The base-5 numeral for 4 is repeated.
θθ ← This number would be 44 (base-10).
The base-10 numeral for 2 is repeated.
ღღ ← This number would be 22 (base-10).

Mixed-Base System
This system uses the base of the numerals used.
The base-5 numeral for 4 is repeated.
θθ ← This number would be 24 (base-5).
The base-10 numeral for 2 is repeated.
ღღ ← This number would be 22 (base-10).

Blended-Base System
This system could be applied to both counting systems. In strict base-10, the numerals always represent base-10 numbers. In mixed-base, the numerals would use the base of whatever digit comes first.
θღ ← This can either be 22 (base-5) or 42 (base-10), depending on whether or not you're mixing or strict on bases.
ღθ ← This number is 44 (base-10).
Alternately, if you're not blending the different bases, a number such as θღღθθღ would be a list of numbers, rather than a single number.

That said, I do really like the flow of the alphabet.

A note of concern, though, is the vowels as diacritics. The shapes are fairly complex, and may be hard to read or cumbersome to write, especially if you've not got a lot of room on the paper. Also, is there a rule concerning whether the vowel sound comes before or after the consonant?

Oh, and just a point of clarification - I have trouble reading some cursive. The characters h and D, what sounds do they represent?
Native: English
Fluent: C++, C, Javascript
Non-Fluent: Spanish
Conlangs: Elysiani, Melkovin, Solmeia, Sorone, Tartaran
Current Projects: Multiple conlangs & conscripts, Voynich Manuscript translation
Anoran

Postby Tovel » Fri 26 Oct 2012 10:12 pm

In first place, thank you for clarification.

About the vowels, they're written above the precedent consonant. About room to write them, think that space that's used above the main line is not used along it. Refering to their complexity and cumbersomeness, one of the things I'll work on is on simplifying them, but creating symbols for diphthong was in it's own a way to become less annoying since two vowels can be represented by only one letter.

Thanks again for you're contributions

The consonant "h" is pronounced s (this letters is one of the most evolutioned, it's shape derives from mouth/speaking, "séthalû") The consonant "D" is r (comes from the shape of an ear, "roxè")
Tovel

Return to Constructed writing systems