The First Economy

The place to discuss extinct languages.

Re: The First Economy

Postby linguoboy » Sat 10 Jul 2010 10:10 pm

falasha wrote:You are a linguist?

Don't be coy; you yourself implied as much in previous attacks on the profession.

falasha wrote:I use an Coptic/Arabic word and you tell me I don't know the first think about linguists.

If you think there is such a thing as a "Coptic/Arabic word", then, no, you don't know the first thing about linguistics.

falasha wrote:What should I assume?

Don't assume; do the reading.

falasha wrote:My lunatic behavior stems from years of study of the semetic culture.

It doesn't matter how many years you claim to have "studied" something if you're going about it all wrong. For starters, Coptic isn't Semitic.

falasha wrote:What does your megalomaniacal behavior stem from?

Who's the megalomaniac here? The person saying, "Read the work of the experts before you post" or the person posting long unsourced essays of their speculative ideas and ridiculing all responses to them?

Never mind, rhetorical question. Carry on with the madness! It's definitely more entertaining than another crappy conscript.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: The First Economy

Postby Dan_ad_nauseam » Sun 11 Jul 2010 3:55 am

linguoboy wrote:. . . .

falasha wrote:I use an Coptic/Arabic word and you tell me I don't know the first think about linguists.

If you think there is such a thing as a "Coptic/Arabic word", then, no, you don't know the first thing about linguistics.

falasha wrote:What should I assume?

Don't assume; do the reading.

falasha wrote:My lunatic behavior stems from years of study of the semetic culture.

It doesn't matter how many years you claim to have "studied" something if you're going about it all wrong. For starters, Coptic isn't Semitic.

. . . .


As he should have known from my early response to one of his posts, noting that Egyptian was a non-Semitic branch of Afro-Asiatic.

At least he isn't trying to fit Sumerian in.
Dan_ad_nauseam
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat 18 Apr 2009 5:25 am

Re: The First Economy

Postby Elijah » Thu 29 Mar 2012 3:02 am

True that, Dan.
Native: American English
Learning: Mandarin, Burmese, Japanese
Want to learn: Cantonese, ASL, Basque?
Elijah
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat 28 May 2011 7:24 am
Location: Colorado in the US

Re: The First Economy

Postby Tikolm » Sat 14 Jul 2012 2:34 am

Why do people have to be so rude? What's the idea, kill all the threads you don't like?
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
User avatar
Tikolm
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon 10 Aug 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Sylvara, Massachusetts

Re: The First Economy

Postby linguoboy » Sat 14 Jul 2012 3:16 am

Tikolm wrote:Why do people have to be so rude? What's the idea, kill all the threads you don't like?

No, the idea is to ensure that the threads have at least a nodding acquaintance with the known facts.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: The First Economy

Postby Tikolm » Sat 14 Jul 2012 3:31 am

linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:Why do people have to be so rude? What's the idea, kill all the threads you don't like?

No, the idea is to ensure that the threads have at least a nodding acquaintance with the known facts.

Could have fooled me. I realize that's part of it, but there are ways of softening your tone.
Edit: Also -- haws dweud mynydd na mynd drosto. You're not going to convince me of anything until you cross the mountain. But then, who cares anyway?
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
User avatar
Tikolm
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon 10 Aug 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Sylvara, Massachusetts

Re: The First Economy

Postby linguoboy » Sat 14 Jul 2012 2:55 pm

Tikolm wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Tikolm wrote:Why do people have to be so rude? What's the idea, kill all the threads you don't like?

No, the idea is to ensure that the threads have at least a nodding acquaintance with the known facts.

Could have fooled me. I realize that's part of it, but there are ways of softening your tone.
Edit: Also -- haws dweud mynydd na mynd drosto. You're not going to convince me of anything until you cross the mountain.

You keep using that phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Any other two-year old threads here you want to necro so you can pick a fight with me? Well then spare yourself the effort because I'm not interested.
english*deutsch*nederlands*català*castellano*gaelainn*cymraeg*français*svenska*韓國말*漢語
linguoboy
 
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun 19 Apr 2009 9:02 am

Re: The First Economy

Postby Tikolm » Sat 14 Jul 2012 3:34 pm

linguoboy wrote:You keep using that phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Oh, it means what I think it means, all right. It doesn't mean what you think I think it means, though. I was using it in the sense of "actions speak louder than words" here, or perhaps "words speak louder than meta-words".
Any other two-year old threads here you want to necro so you can pick a fight with me? Well then spare yourself the effort because I'm not interested.

I had no interest in hearing from you (and still don't), although I suppose I should have known you would leap to the defense of what you said. At this point, I'm going to try to break off this discussion, however hard it is for me, because this isn't good for either of us and I'm now quite sorry I started it.
Native: English
Fluent: français
Basic: Cymraeg
Really basic: Español, lingua latīna
Conlangs (current): tikolmil, llyffws, Arliks, dilir
(Website is at http://risteq.net/ if you ever want to visit. It's supposed to be in 4 languages.)
User avatar
Tikolm
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon 10 Aug 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Sylvara, Massachusetts

Previous

Return to Extinct languages

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests